Tips and question about KH caliper crossover lines

-

ppsi

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a set of 4 piston KH disk brake calipers. I'm looking for advice on how the tight bends are made in the lines for these calipers. I'm also wondering if all the lines get the spiral "spring" protection added to them or just the ones from the brake hose connection.
Thanks

Last time I had to do something like this I used a small hand tool for bending tubes without kinking them, but let's get the expert in on this...

@hemi71x

Last edited:
Last time I had to do something this I used a small hand tool for bending tubes without kinking them, but let's get the expert in on this...

@hemi71x

I should have mentioned. I do have benders of many types but none will bend a tight radius without kinking. Maybe this is why the spring protection is actually used for?

Just buy new ones from.
Fine Lines
Inline Tube
Classic Tube
They all have them.
Just save yourself a whole lot of trouble.

Saw this while thumbing thru ebay.
Summit even has them for sale, at a decent cost.
Right Stuff Detailing Brake Line Set YFC6701 | eBay

YFC6701OM- 67-72 Mopar A-Body, w/Factory Disc, Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston Calipers; C | eBay

KH Caliper Hard Lines..jpg

Last edited:
That "spiral wrap" is a gravel guard that is meant to protect the line from abuse. On the caliper the bends are quite tight. I purchased new SS lines and had to bend them tighter as they hit the wheel.

Plan on bending the Inline Tube brand to get them to fit. Mine didn't fit rite out of the box.

Thanks for the offer. What are you looking to get for the set?

Yes the bends are very tight and a bit complicated.

I managed to bend a set using a hand tool. Not totally symmetrical and perfect, but no kinks. Those pliers look like they would do it. I used the kind designed for multiple tubing sizes, with a sort of pulley and a handle.

I did a set by hand. I used the nickle copper tubing that is much easier to bend. I bough some stainless guard sleeve to go over them. Used an original as a pattern and it worked out great.

caliper.jpg

All I say is tighten and loosen and re-tighten them several times. My experience was such in 2014.

hemi71x

Last edited:
Agree. I may buy or I may make my own but either way I agree it's a good idea to seat and reset the lines/fitting.
I don't hate making my own. I've double flared enough brake lines and I have the proper tools to do it. For this resurrection I really need to to use my time instead of my money when and where I can. If I can spend time making lines and save $50.00 I don't mind doing it. If I hated the work then I would spend the dough.
The motor for this car is going to cost me a a fair amount of money. A paint job will too. I don't plan on being upside down when I'm done with it.

It was a HUGE pain in the arse for me....I used a couple different benders. Next time I will just buy or look into the copper nickel that Mike mentioned.

I did a whole car with the nickel copper lines once. The problem is it gets harder the more you bend it, and the long runs came coiled up so every inch was bent at least twice just in straightening it out. Basically had one chance to get each curve right, after that it was like solid steel.

I did a set by hand. I used the nickle copper tubing that is much easier to bend. I bough some stainless guard sleeve to go over them. Used an original as a pattern and it worked out great.

View attachment 1715489707

I did a whole car with the nickel copper lines once. The problem is it gets harder the more you bend it, and the long runs came coiled up so every inch was bent at least twice just in straightening it out. Basically had one chance to get each curve right, after that it was like solid steel.

Fwiw, if the tube work hardens I'm pretty sure you can soften it again with just enough heat to make the color slightly change.

-
Back