Tips on 727 build

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Chris,
I plan on rebuilding my '74 Torqueflight next weekend. I have built a C-4 and C-6 back in my Ford days and never had a problem with them. I picked up a TCI technical overhaul manual and a TCI master overhaul kit P#128900. Previously, the trans had been making some funky groaning noises as power was applied in any gear as recall, also it was slipping bad in reverse when cold. I wil be replacing the torque converter and front pilot bearing (included in the kit) as the bearing surface on the TC looks pretty bad. Anything in particular I should look for once I get it cracked open? Also, any other rebuilding tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey ramcharger!

Sounds like you're on the right track. I would carefully inspect the components once you have it apart. Also, check the output shaft bearing while it's still on the shaft. If the bearing feels rough, this could be the cause of your noise.

Did the O/H kit come with a rear band? Based on the fact that you said reverse was slipping, you might need it!

Good luck with your rebuild!

Thanks Chris!

Yep, all bands, clutches and steels included. I won't really know how it turns out until I break in the cam and give it a test run some time this june/july. I'll let you know how it turns out!

-
Back