Tire question

-

wedgie

Reaction score
I just put M/T N-50X15 Indy profile SS tires on my Dart. Ran at T&T last night with disappointing 60' results, but I did not heat them up first. Anybody else running these tires?

If you want to hook..get yourself some m/t drag radials...

I took the tires down to about 18#. Spun all the way through first and into second. Like I said though, there was no heating of the tires. Just stage and go. 1.9 60' times with a 8.09 @ 86mph 1/8 mile times. I imagine that these are old technology and I should go to a D.O.T. drag tire. I want to stay away from radials though. Especially with the belted Moroso drag tires on the front.

I don't know much about the "new" street legal tires, but the ET Streets aren't radial.
Anyway, I ran MT SS's on a hi-14 second 72 340 Demon years ago before the newer stuff was available. I ran the G60-14's. They worked better heated. I didn't have much power, but there was zero wheelspin compared to the G70's that were on it before.
I would think that they would work better with 30 psi or so, since they are constructed like "regular" street tires. I had my rallye's widened to 7 1/2 inches to spread the tire out. I ran normal street pressures.

Get yourself a cheap used set of Bias wrinkle wall slicks for the track sessions.I see them all the time on Craigslist for less than a bill ,with lots of runs left in them .Im getting consistant mid to high 1.50 60 foots with a set of M/T 26x8.5x15 slicks mounted on steel 7 inch wide wheels .All i have for traction is a $35.00 set of slapper bars and crusty worn out 46 yearold 6 cylinder springs with worn out Monroe shocks .I run 15 psi in them BTW .M/T ET Streets are great ,but they are still not real slicks .The other plus is your not beating up your street tires at the track ...

I just put M/T N-50X15 Indy profile SS tires on my Dart. Ran at T&T last night with disappointing 60' results, but I did not heat them up first. Anybody else running these tires?

Those will NOT hook with your car.

try Hoosier QTP

or m/t ET street

or of course, any slick

The M/T, 'SS's are not a bad street tire. They last quite a while on the street and are sticky enough to not get you into trouble if you decide to dump the clutch and nail it, (yeah 4speed guy here). I have G60 14's. I tried to use them at the drags without heating them with the same result. Next time i will heat them up. I would try them heated up before i spent lots of money on something else. Just my 2 cents.

The M/T, 'SS's are not a bad street tire. They last quite a while on the street and are sticky enough to not get you into trouble if you decide to dump the clutch and nail it, (yeah 4speed guy here). I have G60 14's. I tried to use them at the drags without heating them with the same result. Next time i will heat them up. I would try them heated up before i spent lots of money on something else. Just my 2 cents.

Thats just it , they are a street tire. Much harder rubber compound. heating them isnt going to make them hook under a car with some power

just my 2 cents.... 8)

496Dart, are you aware that the "SS" tires are stickier than the regular MT's?
I agree that they won't work as good as a tire like you mention, as they are a regular street tire. Just not sure by your response if you are familiar with them.

yes i am ;)

my point is -- well....... what i posted. ;)

I think wedgie is running a stout BB A body--or is this a different car ? No way a street tire will hook at all in a moderately or high powered BB/ a body. And by street tire i mean NOT a ET street or QTP hoosier type tire.

yes i am ;)

my point is -- well....... what i posted. ;)

I think wedgie is running a stout BB A body--or is this a different car ? No way a street tire will hook at all in a moderately or high powered BB/ a body. And by street tire i mean NOT a ET street or QTP hoosier type tire.
Gotcha... I don't know what he's running either.

This 1965 Dart is a junkyard 360LA powered bracket racer for my grandkids. It is lightweight, mini-tubbed, and has an 8 3/4 with a 4.56 and a spool. Sounds like it is time for a line lock and trying to get some traction consistency by heating the M/T SS tires. In the meantime, I'll be looking for some QT pro's.
My other car is a 496" six pack stroker (grandpa's car).

good luck hooking those M/T tires...they are harder than hockey pucks and are usually spin city with most any car faster than mid 13's

Just bought a new pair of Hoosiers. Hope that I don't start breaking parts now.

Thats just it , they are a street tire. Much harder rubber compound. heating them isnt going to make them hook under a car with some power

just my 2 cents.... 8)

FYI--The tread wear is rated just like a slick "0000" That is the only reason I bought them........Going with Hoosier's next time!

I have them on my car and I BLOW the tires off also cant get them to hook and I only have around 510 hp and 504 Tq. I run 18# in them 4spd 410 stroker, caltracs,

Replaced the Mickey N-50's with Hoosier 13.50-28X15's. Now I may have too much traction. Lays down at the start. What do you think about locking the distributor at 34* and relying on the MSD to retard the timing for starting? I have a stock convertor, stock 904 (manual vb), junkyard engine with a .480 284* cam, Holley 750 mechanical secondary carb. Need to launch below 2000 RPM.

Replaced the Mickey N-50's with Hoosier 13.50-28X15's. Now I may have too much traction. Lays down at the start. What do you think about locking the distributor at 34* and relying on the MSD to retard the timing for starting? I have a stock convertor, stock 904 (manual vb), junkyard engine with a .480 284* cam, Holley 750 mechanical secondary carb. Need to launch below 2000 RPM.

which hoosiers did you go to? the quicktimes or quicktime pros?

Friend of mine ran the MT SS tires on his Chevelle years ago. For their time they were a good tire if you needed to hook on the street.

Problem is……. Todays modern drag radial options offer so much more.

The MT SS is simply outdated.

Depends how much power you are trying to put to the pavement. My buddy's HOT 340 4spd with 3.91 gears, SS Springs and only a pinion snubber Hooks all day long .......

Mine with 4spd ,3.55 gears and 410 stroker with caltracs.....will do a light squeeel at a roll in 1st banging thru the gears. No way it will hook straight out of the hole! FWIW

You definitly need more stall with that cam, thats the main problem, the other is running a DPer with a stock converter, so you have 2 strikes against you. With those other tires you had (spinning) it got you in the RPM range "early", but spinning won't get you anywhere. If i were you at this point, get a good quality 9.5" converter that stalls up there but is still street freindly, dial-in the tune (timing curve) & you should be set. I'm running a PTC 2800 11" behind a mild 360 magnum with a small roller, I wished now i would have gotten a 9.5" that flashed around 36-3800, my 60fts are in the 1.85 range, thats not bad, but i could have easily been in the 1.75 range with a 9.5" for an extra 100.00 bucks, stupid me :angry7:.

which hoosiers did you go to? the quicktimes or quicktime pros?

I bought the QT pro's. Did the locked distributer deal. Locked in at 34*. Starts well with the 20* retard feature in the MSD. Tried it out on the deserted road in front of my house. BIG difference. Still have a slight stumble off the line. I know that a different convertor is really needed, but not in the budget. Any carb adjustment/mod suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

I bought the QT pro's. Did the locked distributer deal. Locked in at 34*. Starts well with the 20* retard feature in the MSD. Tried it out on the deserted road in front of my house. BIG difference. Still have a slight stumble off the line. I know that a different convertor is really needed, but not in the budget. Any carb adjustment/mod suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Do you have a 750v.s carb laying around?It may help with your launch.:cheers:

I have the same tires though smaller g 60 15 and they are not going to hook going to 255 60 15 mt drag radials hopefully they wont be the waste of money the bfg drag radials were!!!!

-
Back