Tires and Wheels

-

ramhemi

Reaction score
I am planning to buy new tires and wheels for my Dart.What is the biggest 15" rim and tire size for the rear?What is the biggest 15" rim and tire size I can on the Front?

I know 255/70/15's fit nice, but hard to find , the next closer is 275/60/15 a more popular size, I'm planning on a set for my 73 duster

ramhemi said:
Which back space would work best?4 1/2" or 4 7/8"?

My '72 Duster has 15x10 inch rims with 4 3/4 inch back spacing and I have exactly 1/2 inch clearance to the spring and 1/2 inch to the inside fender lip in the rear with the bare rim installed.

What works on a Duster wont work on a Dart. Much smaller wheel wells. With out moving anything around a 235-60-15 on a 15X7" rim with 4.5" backspacing is it. If you use offset hangers you should be able to fit a 255-60-15 on a 15X8" rim with 5.5" backspacing.

My best suggestion is to measure the rear yourself.

Take off the wheel and place a jackstand on the axle.

Run a plumb line from the spring, the inner lip of the wheel well, and one off the brake drum face keeping the plumbs in line. Take your measurements and you'll know exactly what you're dealing with. I'd recommend measuring both sides if you're going to put the largests tires possible, just to be sure there is no variation in the sides.

GT340 said:
My best suggestion is to measure the rear yourself.

Take off the wheel and place a jackstand on the axle.

Run a plumb line from the spring, the inner lip of the wheel well, and one off the brake drum face keeping the plumbs in line. Take your measurements and you'll know exactly what you're dealing with. I'd recommend measuring both sides if you're going to put the largests tires possible, just to be sure there is no variation in the sides.
man I like that, what a simple fix for measuring. Thankx

-
Back