Title issues

-
Don't put a penny into a vehicle without the title.
Customer spent yrs and $$$ doing up a Falcon, went to DMV with old transfer paper, they found the car was stolen, real owner wanted car back and got it, no charge.
Ugly story !

Don't put a penny into a vehicle without the title.
Customer spent yrs and $$$ doing up a Falcon, went to DMV with old transfer paper, they found the car was stolen, real owner wanted car back and got it, no charge.
Ugly story !
Oh yeah for sure. Not dropping a dime on it until it’s in my name. That sucks ur customer went through that. I would have been sick.

I'm not sure I read this correctly, but....Missouri has required a title since the dawn of time.
Like I said I lived in Mo. from 1979 to 2016, 37 years. At the early times I would buy an old Mopar with NO title and would have to get it titled thru Ga. deal. I was raised in Ga. and my mother worked in the co.,tax.tag office for years till she retired. Then about maybe 2000 Mo.finally wouldaccept a simple billf sale and an ID/OD toget a title. I doubt it has changed. I will add, your Mo iag offie people have to understand the Mo.regarding this. Justa fact Jack.

Im just surprised to see the OP named his source and no one shot that down yet

Like I said I lived in Mo. from 1979 to 2016, 37 years. At the early times I would buy an old Mopar with NO title and would have to get it titled thru Ga. deal. I was raised in Ga. and my mother worked in the co.,tax.tag office for years till she retired. Then about maybe 2000 Mo.finally wouldaccept a simple billf sale and an ID/OD toget a title. I doubt it has changed. I will add, your Mo iag offie people have to understand the Mo.regarding this. Justa fact Jack.

You're the first person in the history of my 40+ years to get a title with JUST a bill of sale in Missouri. Oddly enough, the department of motor vehicles in Jefferson City requires that you have a title, so it's not just 'your local office being cool'. When I got licensed to do MVI's (including ID/OD's) in '99, this process was clearly explained to us, and many of us asked these exact questions.

Otherwise, what's to stop you from snagging the VIN off that Hemi Cuda at your neighbor's house, drafting yourself up a BOS, and mailing it off while you wait for your new 'Cuda ownership papers to arrive?

I hate to say it, but I'm going to disagree. Missouri has NEVER accepted a bill of sale as ownership. You should see how long I had to wait at the local tag office while they called Jeff City about the Vermont deal.

Specifically:
1678458478533.png

Or...
1678458515772.png

There are exceptions for abandoned property but unless you're the owner of a business, even those are troublesome.

I first ran into this in '95, and at that time tried calling places about 'Georgia' titles and such as were advertised in Hemmings. Every single one of those places (back then there were 4 or 5 of them) told me that Missouri was worse than California about getting titles. Not saying you weren't successful with the Georgia route, but they didn't want to touch my car.

Ironically, it's gotten easier since NMVTIS went in due to the introduction of bonded titles and all that, but if you have a junker on the NMVTIS roll call, you're just screwed (ask me how I know this)

You're the first person in the history of my 40+ years to get a title with JUST a bill of sale in Missouri. Oddly enough, the department of motor vehicles in Jefferson City requires that you have a title, so it's not just 'your local office being cool'. When I got licensed to do MVI's (including ID/OD's) in '99, this process was clearly explained to us, and many of us asked these exact questions.

Otherwise, what's to stop you from snagging the VIN off that Hemi Cuda at your neighbor's house, drafting yourself up a BOS, and mailing it off while you wait for your new 'Cuda ownership papers to arrive?

I hate to say it, but I'm going to disagree. Missouri has NEVER accepted a bill of sale as ownership. You should see how long I had to wait at the local tag office while they called Jeff City about the Vermont deal.

Specifically:
View attachment 1716061727

Or...
View attachment 1716061729

There are exceptions for abandoned property but unless you're the owner of a business, even those are troublesome.

I first ran into this in '95, and at that time tried calling places about 'Georgia' titles and such as were advertised in Hemmings. Every single one of those places (back then there were 4 or 5 of them) told me that Missouri was worse than California about getting titles. Not saying you weren't successful with the Georgia route, but they didn't want to touch my car.

Ironically, it's gotten easier since NMVTIS went in due to the introduction of bonded titles and all that, but if you have a junker on the NMVTIS roll call, you're just screwed (ask me how I know this)
You know I have NO dog in this race, just relaying what I have done many times after Mo. relaxed thier old car title requirements. Maybe the cars I did were not in Mo. title data base?, maybe were out of state cars, I don't remember. I DO KNOW I did such more than a few times probably in time period after maybe mid 90s. maybe into early 2000s.

P.S> If you there in Mo. buys an out of state car, YOU have that title, YOU must take it in to the state inspection and he gives YOU a ID/OD which simply shows that cars vin and mileage. YOU take that paperwork with title to transfer it to your name thus new title.

I still have a 62 Lancer that I bought IN MO. withput a title back about 2002-2004 or 5 maybe. I got it titled there in Mo. with bill of sale and ID/OD/ Done arguing. There were more than a few others. Maybe Mo. has gone back and tightened their BS for old car titles. don't know. Everyone, have a good day!

Just an FYI for anyone considering the Vermont Loophole....

As of last month, they have amended this regulations to restrict anyone using the loophole to only those who have "legitimate interests in Vermont" and that the Vermont registration must be compatible with registration requirements in your home state.

So, if you live in Vermont, this is your chance to cash in.

https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VN-102-Out_of_State_Registration_Certification.pdf
Yeah I saw an ad on this. Thankfully I was able to get my registration done. My tags came a couple weeks ago and the registration came last week. I barely got in there. Sucks they are not stopping this outside of VT but sounds like there were a lot of stolen cars going through the program and the dmv people were having to deal with idiots.

I have bought 2 cars in Florida, without a title, just a BOS from a salvage yard. They were both going to be race cars, so didn't care about a title at the time. When I decided, I might want to put one or both on the road, I needed to get titles. Contacted the owner of the salvage company (new owner, not the one that sold me the car). I showed them the BOS from the company, they ran the VIN number, and it was still in the data base. Salvage company sent a letter to the titled owner, waited the required period of time, then placed a "mechanics lien" on the car. Sent for a title in their name, then transferred the title to me. It was not cheap as Fl charges 80 some dollars for each title transfer plus I had to pay the people at the salvage company for their time and effort.

I have bought 2 cars in Florida, without a title, just a BOS from a salvage yard. They were both going to be race cars, so didn't care about a title at the time. When I decided, I might want to put one or both on the road, I needed to get titles. Contacted the owner of the salvage company (new owner, not the one that sold me the car). I showed them the BOS from the company, they ran the VIN number, and it was still in the data base. Salvage company sent a letter to the titled owner, waited the required period of time, then placed a "mechanics lien" on the car. Sent for a title in their name, then transferred the title to me. It was not cheap as Fl charges 80 some dollars for each title transfer plus I had to pay the people at the salvage company for their time and effort.
Glad that worked out. I’m South Carolina they don’t allow us to buy cars out of salvage yards typically. Mine came out of a salvage yard but the owner is 80 something and didn’t care. But sc won’t take a bill of sale only unless it came from a state that domt
Issue a title or a title is optional. I inherited a 66 valiant from my uncle in GA after he passed and SC gave me a hard time, I had to have them inspect it then show it was running and driving then they had to research the vin and finally issued me a sc title. The charger was registered in SC so I was up the creek without the VT loophole.

Glad that worked out. I’m South Carolina they don’t allow us to buy cars out of salvage yards typically. Mine came out of a salvage yard but the owner is 80 something and didn’t care. But sc won’t take a bill of sale only unless it came from a state that domt
Issue a title or a title is optional. I inherited a 66 valiant from my uncle in GA after he passed and SC gave me a hard time, I had to have them inspect it then show it was running and driving then they had to research the vin and finally issued me a sc title. The charger was registered in SC so I was up the creek without the VT loophole.
Actually the company is a towing-recovery company, technically not a salvage yard. They don't sell parts, and normally crush the cars they recover if the owner does not reclaim the vehicle. So they are allowed to sell the vehicles to recover their expenses. One of their drivers knew I was into old Mopars, and would call me when they got one in. Give me a chance to get parts or the vehicle before being crushed. They treated me real good. They would just charge scrap weight prices for what I got.

Actually the company is a towing-recovery company, technically not a salvage yard. They don't sell parts, and normally crush the cars they recover if the owner does not reclaim the vehicle. So they are allowed to sell the vehicles to recover their expenses. One of their drivers knew I was into old Mopars, and would call me when they got one in. Give me a chance to get parts or the vehicle before being crushed. They treated me real good. They would just charge scrap weight prices for what I got.
Man that’s pretty cool.

-
Back