To clarify pinging and detonation?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I understand pinging as the motor actually trying to run backwards momentarily (accelerating in too high a gear, timing advanced too much, gasoline octane too low). As for detonation, it seems to be the same thing to me. Or is it?

i believe detonation is the air fuel mix igniting before spark. so detonation can cause pinging but pinging isnt necessarily caused by detonation.

Pinging and detonation are the same. Detonation and pre-ignition however are different. Running backwards is running backwards. I've seen it happen myself.

Just for the threads sake... what is the difference between detonation and pre ignition. I'm aware of what pinging is, but I have also heard different words used for pinging and different explanations. They kind of sound the same to me.

Just for the threads sake... what is the difference between detonation and pre ignition. I'm aware of what pinging is, but I have also heard different words used for pinging and different explanations. They kind of sound the same to me.

I believe that detonation is caused when the air fuel mixture is ignited by the spark plug and the resulting flame travels too fast in the chamber causing the remaining air fuel to explode instead of having an even flame front expanding in the combustion chamber.
Pre ignition is caused by anything in the combustion chamber that can glow from the heat ie. too hot spark plug, sharp edges in chamber etc. that ignite the air fuel mixture on the compression stroke before the spark plug fires resulting in severe pinging because of the huge excess pressure before TDC.
GTSGUY

So then, for the threads sake. What's the difference between detonation and pre ignition? I know what pinging is and how to deal with it and whatnot. But I don't know aaaaall of the terms definitions associated with pinging.

Whoops sorry, I thought I didn't post. My bad.

This should be a sticky as much as this comes up.

http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

Well I can understand why this comes up often. It's one of those things that's important but not dealt with often. (Atleast in my case) I suppose most people including myself just figure "Oh, I've got some pinging. I better use a higher grade of fuel and if that doesn't work I'll check my timing." But I've only ever had pinging a few times and it was because of shitty gas.

So then, for the threads sake. What's the difference between detonation and pre ignition? I know what pinging is and how to deal with it and whatnot. But I don't know aaaaall of the terms definitions associated with pinging.

Whoops sorry, I thought I didn't post. My bad.

Well I can understand why this comes up often. It's one of those things that's important but not dealt with often. (Atleast in my case) I suppose most people including myself just figure "Oh, I've got some pinging. I better use a higher grade of fuel and if that doesn't work I'll check my timing." But I've only ever had pinging a few times and it was because of shitty gas.

http://www.enginelogics.com/engine-detonation/

An engine can live with detonation occurring for considerable periods of time, relatively speaking. There are no engines that will live for any period of time when pre-ignition occurs. When people see broken ring lands they mistakenly blame it on pre-ignition and overlook the hammering from detonation that caused the problem. A hole in the middle of the piston, particularly a melted hole in the middle of a piston, is due to the extreme heat and pressure of pre-ignition.
hope it helps

-
Back