To posi or not to posi

-

cpthowdy1369

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a center pumpkin for my 8 3/4. I finally got hold of one that i could afford (yeeee-haaawww). It's a 489 case with 3.55 gears....... but it is a non-posi unit. My question is, what are the bennifits (thats not spelled right) of adding the posi to my differential? :blob:

i mean if u just drive it like a daily driver and never race ur not realy missing anything, but if u try to take off w/ open diff and a lower gear it will peg leg for miles and never hook. i had my dart for 3 years before i could find a posi. and it is one of the best things i could of done to it. i dont recomend puttinga spool in it if ur not just racing though. it is way worth putting the sure grip in it though its realy streetable...

What 71 said. You may not ever "need" it. But it helps to be driving both wheels in most situations. And if performance is your goal, some sort of limited slip differential is a MUST. Also like he said, a good Sure Grip helps, a spool is racing use only, and requires the use of aftermarket axles.

abosolutely! put a SUREGRIP in it...Posi is for bowtie cars :)D) one tire fires are no fun, getting a teeny bit squirly is no fun...you'll want it to kick out. Go for it :D

"posi" is blasphamy in the mopar world

say "sure-grip"

in addition to the above comments, the single track unit is weaker itself in design...not performance oriented...depending on what you are planning to do with it...i only run mine on the street and would not have a single track..just my preference

There is nothing better for the soul than laying down 2 long black ones. One line of rubber looks blah, hell any car can do that.

Terry :burnout:

i was lucky and picked up a complete 8 3/4 out of a 71 polara for $125 at the local boneyard. you should look for a old wagon like i did. most had the sure grips from the factory as far as i know..good hunting. btw, it was way worth it!! nothing like getting it side ways!!

Sure-grip is the way to go. Installed it in my 78 Aspen w/ a 360, fun getting her sideways.I got mine for $290 through where i work,a Chrysler Dealership.

I have a 741 non sure grip im my car, as we speak im having a new 489 case, new Detroit locker, Richmond 4.10's installed, you gotta go for it!

Since we are going down the techical path "posi" or "positaction" is not just a bowtie term it is a GM term there is more than just Chevy at GM. My Stage 1 Buicks had "posi" rearends also and they were the cone type just like the Sure Grips.

Now back to our regular program... I put sure grips in every car and truck I have if they did not come with one. Sure I may not need it but then who needs a Hemi or big block for street driving? We do! It is nice to have if you need it.

Chuck

340mopar said:
Now back to our regular program... I put sure grips in every car and truck I have if they did not come with one. Sure I may not need it but then who needs a Hemi or big block for street driving? We do! It is nice to have if you need it.

Chuck

I installed a Auburn limited slip differential into my 03 Ram truck along with some 4:56 gears. The gears brought the truck to life and helped in gas mileage. Of course I wouldn't have installed such a low gear if I didn't have overdrive. I don't burn rubber much in the truck but I know that I have "positraction" when I need it. My cuda has a Suregrip in it and I love it when it goes side ways. Looks impressive also! If I had any muscle car that didn't have positraction it wouldn't be long that it would. lol.

Craig NY said:
I have a 741 non sure grip im my car, as we speak im having a new 489 case, new Detroit locker, Richmond 4.10's installed, you gotta go for it!

I hear ya bro! Your coming along with your ride. I've been watching your progression.

-
Back