To shave or not to shave - Opinions

-

player1up

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of some sheet metal work on my 73 duster and my brother is trying to talk me into shaving the fender maker lights. It could be done without too much extra work....but I'm not sure thats what I want to do :scratch:
it's now or never

OK ..opinions on does it look cool or devalue the car

I'm leaving my marker lights factory, I think it's more personal preference than anything else. Your the builder do what you wanna do.

i agree!

i took my badges, antenna and plymouth letters off ym car, i like it better, but mine dont have sidemarkers, 66,

its your car...

The previous owner of mine shaved em off and I really think it gives it a cleaner look. Its more fitting for the style I prefer anyway.

If your gonna shave anything, how about the drip mouldings. That makes for a killer look. Any while your at it, how about changing the outside door handles to cuda handles.
65.jpg

83.jpg

85.jpg

photos from http://www.prostockhemi.com
Thanks Fred !!

One thing to consider and you might not care but it is illegal to remove any of the factory lighting. Just something to consider since there is some law enforcement people just looking for a way to hassle us. I personaly don't care about the law and think it would look better without them since they are so big, the same ones my '72 Duster have. I'm thinking about putting a set of '68 round markers on mine I dig those little round markers.

drjay0 said:
If your gonna shave anything, how about the drip mouldings. That makes for a killer look. Any while your at it, how about changing the outside door handles to cuda handles.
65.jpg

83.jpg

85.jpg

photos from http://www.prostockhemi.com
Thanks Fred !!
Fred,
I dig those old pictures, my 72 Duster is factory white. Could you email me those pics?

Thanks, Chuck
[email protected]
Never mind I just realized I can download them from the web site you posted

i doubt the police have a handle on weather or not 72's had any kinda marker lights, and if one was so versed in mopar lighting, i doubt they would give you a hard time about it...

Personally, I like the original look of the sidemarker lights. It is also better for street safety since my car is a daily driver.

-Alex

shaving things is a preference, you have to take into cnocideration a lok of things.. like how much and how fast you can get it done.. other then that.. screw the police, they try to screw you every chance they get.. weither it be for the fact THEY are having a bad day or quota is coming!

And i like the clean look. i remove markings and emblems every week.. i like it because for all of us who have been to a car show, or any type of gathering of the sort there is someone who thinks they know your car better then you and has some stupid remark anyway.. why did you do that.. that isnt original is it???? thats when you look at him and say, look dink. is this your car? is this still 1973?? WHAT DO YOUUU DRIVE? a stang? a chevelle? the oh so popular 3 window? bah bite me!

i own a mopar, its unique in everyway.. not like your typical ford or chev whom EVERYONE has anyway..

And like DJVCUDA said the police will not know if you are suppose to have marker lights. so i would say your safe, and it also removes chrome that you will have to polish.. buls you will have to worry about.. and parts your not going to have to find if they break or grow legs!

thats my 0.02
Cerwin

DJVCUDA said:
i doubt the police have a handle on weather or not 72's had any kinda marker lights, and if one was so versed in mopar lighting, i doubt they would give you a hard time about it...
The only reason I mention it is because it happened to me before. You would be suprised at what the law knows. Federal law mandated that all vehicles from 1968 on had to have some sort of side illumination. But like I said I don't care either about the law, as a matter of fact all of the emblems and moulding etc. are removed from my Valiant so I am on the side of the fence that says they look better with a clean shave.

340mopar said:
The only reason I mention it is because it happened to me before. You would be suprised at what the law knows. Federal law mandated that all vehicles from 1968 on had to have some sort of side ilumination.

Ok.. ok, Not that I assume the responsibility of calling law enforcement retards, but how many do you think actually know of this law?

But ya thats something to swallow too..
If you did the work to shave the lights you would have to make it flawless enough to hide it.. or you could be in trouble like 340 said.

What ever happened to you when you were found out 340mopar?
or was it all good?

I had a reputation in my town for racing alot but the law could never catch me in the act so they would find anything they could to pull me over and give me the business. Whether it was exhaust, lights, vehicle was to low, I looked funny etc. They never did write me a ticket, they just wanted to hassle me in return for all of the racing, I was the John Milner of my town. OK here is the disclaimer part for the young people, "DO NOT STREET RACE, EVER!"

Chuck

Guess each to their own. :scratch: On the island here (BC) don't have a yearly inspection stations. I shaved my fender lights and hood lights just because "I" liked the clean look. It does throw some guys off to the true year however. Here's a pic of the same year of vehicles...not shaved and shaved.
PS- I know for a fact...cops don't like shaved door handles, just for the fact they can't open the doors in event of a crash or other things on their minds..

796616_1.jpg

DSCF0016 (Small).JPG

Just a side question here: did the 69 Darts have marker lights or were they reflectors. Mr Galen Glovier wrote that "NO 69 Mopars had marker lights at all!" and it didn't sound right.

mrspeeddemon said:
Just a side question here: did the 69 Darts have marker lights or were they reflectors. Mr Galen Glovier wrote that "NO 69 Mopars had marker lights at all!" and it didn't sound right.

jim above you has a 69 valiant and he had marker lights.
take THAT to the bank Mr Galen Glovier !!!

drjay0 said:

Thanks Fred !!

:banghead: Cuda door handles.. Now why didn't I think of that! I got a set of doors that I "shaved the handles" from but, of course now, I want to be NHRA legal (gotta have external handles) and was thinking about "what do do". Thanks DrJay You may have saved a set of doors going to the scrap pile ! Now, for finding those handles :scratch:

mrspeeddemon said:

I don't know if I would ever say "NO" when it comes to Mopars but Galen knows what hes talking about. 69 mopars were supposed to have reflectors but you never know maybe an early car snuck thru with 68 fenders on it.
FWIW my 69 Valiant has reflectors.

Having owned a 73 Duster at one point in my life.. I say shave those silly things!! They stick out and look like an afterthought!
as for getting hassled without them.. think of it this way - if one of the lights burn out - you are more likley to get a ticket for that than if they aren't even on the car!

as for the 69 issue... every 69 I have ever owned has reflectors - not lights.

ls23h8b said:
I don't know if I would ever say "NO" when it comes to Mopars but Galen knows what hes talking about. 69 mopars were supposed to have reflectors but you never know maybe an early car snuck thru with 68 fenders on it.
FWIW my 69 Valiant has reflectors.

What model is "your" 69 Valiant??

I'm sure my Valiant didn't slip through with the wrong fenders or rear quarters...the rear also had side "electrical lights". I was once told it was dependent on which model a person had in "69"...ie,
Medium Class Plymouth Valiant 100, 200 - Reflectors - 49,956 made
High Class Plymouth Valiant Signet 2dr - Side Lights - 6,560 made

Unsure about 69 Dodge Darts however. :scratch:

1967-valiant-signet-emblem.gif

I agree, the 73's side markers do look like an afterthought. Also on the door handels. I have a set that I cut out of a 75 AMC pacer that look just like Ebody handles and I think they used the same ones on eagles and other AMC models.
As for the value of your car, If you got an appraisal done it would add some (not much) value due to that fact that it is now a custom vehicle instead of a stock one.
Anyone that would buy it would either, notice the changes right away and think that it's pretty cool, not know that you did anything, or if they were dead set on restoring it for 100 point show they would just slap on a stock set of door or fenders. In the end it's your car and do what you want with it.

360scamp said:
I agree, the 73's side markers do look like an afterthought. Also on the door handels. I have a set that I cut out of a 75 AMC pacer that look just like Ebody handles and I think they used the same ones on eagles and other AMC models.
As for the value of your car, If you got an appraisal done it would add some (not much) value due to that fact that it is now a custom vehicle instead of a stock one.
Anyone that would buy it would either, notice the changes right away and think that it's pretty cool, not know that you did anything, or if they were dead set on restoring it for 100 point show they would just slap on a stock set of door or fenders. In the end it's your car and do what you want with it.

good call, i agree with this statement.. either restore it to add to lenos collection.. or do what you want you live once and its your car!

-
Back