to spend more or not to spend more? brakes

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
used up all my brake pads, so need the ups guy to bring me some new ones. (talking disc brakes) (not necessarily our muscle cars but anything in general) (but mostly our muscle cars. like a duster.)

but, to spend cheap or spend a little more? have you noticed any improvements over the brake that costs more or do they just last a little longer?

when you walk into auto crap and the dude says premium or economy should you care and go for cheap?

are you paying for some special metal that will just wear away anyhow and end up all over your nice rims?

(this is mostly for daily drivers, you race guys would buy nice expensive car stoppers anyhow)

havnt seen a thread on this, so will be interesting. :newb:

I normally choose the middle of 3 options. That applies to brake linings, timing belts, whatever.

I used to get premium, but not semi-metallic for the older cars. Newer stuff like my Ranger that came with semi-metallic gets semi metallic.

You do get what you pay for. I when from stock on my dd to EBC redstuff brake pads (front and rear) and there is a HELL of a difference in stop distance

I bought ceramic pads from Autozone for ~$60 for one of my Mopar minivans, mainly because they are supposed to stop the ugly cow poop stuff that discolors the wheels when using organic pads. I since read that "ceramic" has no agreed definition and is more of a marketing term. At least they have a lifetime warranty (used once already), and I haven't noticed any more brown coating.

You do get what you pay for. I when from stock on my dd to EBC redstuff brake pads (front and rear) and there is a HELL of a difference in stop distance

good to hear.. just bought their red stuff for my mustang. thats what they recommended to me..

good to hear.. just bought their red stuff for my mustang. thats what they recommended to me..

I've gone over the 1000 mile breakin and they still dust a lot more then my factory pads. Just means you'll have to clean your wheels more often.

oh man that sucks.. i was trying to get a low dust pad (they advertise low dust) because of the white wheels and trying to keep them clean.. screw it, as long as it stops well i'll be happy..

When I put new pads on my Dakota I used the Wagner thermo-quiet or something like that. A lot less brake dust!
I can't tell if it stops any better. I haven't been in a situation where I needed that feature, and since I never was with the factory pads I still wouldn't know.

In any event, because of the low dusting, I put them on my Duster also.
C

-
Back