TOB Manufacturer Recommendation

-

Franko

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After putting about 600 miles on my new McLeod Borg and Beck clutch in my 69 Dart 340, it started making a grinding noise when the clutch pedal was fully depressed. I sent the Aetna throw out bearing to the McLeod tech department for analysis.

They said it was damaged and also showed excessive wear on the surface. They thought that it might not have had the proper clearance between the TOB and the fingers. I had adjusted the clutch pedal to 1” of free play as indicated in the Service Manual.

They are sending me a new TOB. But I am wondering if it is worth installing another Aetna TOB or going with a different manufacturer. I see Rock Auto sells Timken, SKF, and National.

Has anybody had any experience along these lines?

Timken is kinda self explanatory.

I have a hydraulic release bearing from Powertrain technologies. About 1800 miles, no issues. Cost me $311. Appears to be the same unit as American Powertrain unit other than color which is black.

After putting about 600 miles on my new McLeod Borg and Beck clutch in my 69 Dart 340, it started making a grinding noise when the clutch pedal was fully depressed. I sent the Aetna throw out bearing to the McLeod tech department for analysis.

They said it was damaged and also showed excessive wear on the surface. They thought that it might not have had the proper clearance between the TOB and the fingers. I had adjusted the clutch pedal to 1” of free play as indicated in the Service Manual.

They are sending me a new TOB. But I am wondering if it is worth installing another Aetna TOB or going with a different manufacturer. I see Rock Auto sells Timken, SKF, and National.

Has anybody had any experience along these lines?

That was a great explanation of what went on, and on that note I don't think I would put another one of those in there.

This is a quote from another Aetna TOB user from another forum.

"After spending a couple weeks rebuilding the differential, transmission, clutch etc. and installing a new AETNA "made in USA" throw out bearing A-7580, I finally got everything back together and took a 5 mile shake down drive. At the end of the drive I pushed in the clutch pedal and a loud growl came from the clutch area. Upon further investigation I determined it was the throw out bearing. Another had day's work installing a bearing made in Mexico and it runs quiet like it should. What has happened to good old USA quality control? I wouldn't use another AETNA bearing if the Company gave me a car load. I'm sure I'll get my 20 bucks back but that is not much compenstaion for a days hard work on your back under the car!!"

-
Back