Today is the day....

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
My son, whom I've been working on a 65 Valiant for the last couple of years, leaves for boot camp today.

Several of you have seen me make reference to his leaving and our goal to get his car rolling, running and stopping before that happens. Although it's nowhere near done, we were able to meet that goal and drive it up and down the road (private road) over the last week and a half. He'd become resigned to the fact it wasn't going to happen because time after time, we'd find something else. We'd questioned the transmission we got for $60 since we never saw it work, though a static test of turning the input shaft and going through the gears seemed to show it was at least internally intact. Then at the last minute, everything sort of fell together and he drove it for the first time, around the yard, then down the road, in the dark. One seat, high beam switch dangling, and the electric fuel pump hard wired. It was a total hack job and that's OK. Reminded me of when I was a kid. It's an experience he'll never forget, nor will I.

We had a lot of really great times and a lot of tough ones. The car brought us closer together, and taught him some patience, gave him ample opportunities to improvise, adapt and overcome and that perseverance pays off.

I look at the car and will say in a heartbeat I wish I'd said no to it and gotten something easier to deal with. Later A-body for instance, but then in the same breath, I'll also say, given the chance now, I'd not change anything.

We came a long way, he and I. Now it's time for him to step out of my shadow and cast his own. He's a good Man and will be a good Marine. The third in line starting with is grandfather.

Finally, I'm writing this as a way to express to those who have supported our efforts in one way or another, what the experience has meant to me and to hopefully portray how much the help and support the people on this forum has been. Every one of you from those who just made supporting comments, to those who I have had some great phone calls with and everyone in between.

Semper Fidelis. Always Faithful. Faithful to God, Country and Corps... and FABO.... Thank you.....

My son, whom I've been working on a 65 Valiant for the last couple of years, leaves for boot camp today.

Several of you have seen me make reference to his leaving and our goal to get his car rolling, running and stopping before that happens. Although it's nowhere near done, we were able to meet that goal and drive it up and down the road (private road) over the last week and a half. He'd become resigned to the fact it wasn't going to happen because time after time, we'd find something else. We'd questioned the transmission we got for $60 since we never saw it work, though a static test of turning the input shaft and going through the gears seemed to show it was at least internally intact. Then at the last minute, everything sort of fell together and he drove it for the first time, around the yard, then down the road, in the dark. One seat, high beam switch dangling, and the electric fuel pump hard wired. It was a total hack job and that's OK. Reminded me of when I was a kid. It's an experience he'll never forget, nor will I.

We had a lot of really great times and a lot of tough ones. The car brought us closer together, and taught him some patience, gave him ample opportunities to improvise, adapt and overcome and that perseverance pays off.

I look at the car and will say in a heartbeat I wish I'd said no to it and gotten something easier to deal with. Later A-body for instance, but then in the same breath, I'll also say, given the chance now, I'd not change anything.

We came a long way, he and I. Now it's time for him to step out of my shadow and cast his own. He's a good Man and will be a good Marine. The third in line starting with is grandfather.

Finally, I'm writing this as a way to express to those who have supported our efforts in one way or another, what the experience has meant to me and to hopefully portray how much the help and support the people on this forum has been. Every one of you from those who just made supporting comments, to those who I have had some great phone calls with and everyone in between.

Semper Fidelis. Always Faithful. Faithful to God, Country and Corps... and FABO.... Thank you.....
Good luck to him and you. He’ll be fine though, dad.

I most certainly will. I hope you all know what the help from here has meant.
Just remember, no matter how bad he asks, no care packages containing candy or snacks, at least during Boot! Trust me, he’ll appreciate it in the long run

Just remember, no matter how bad he asks, no care packages containing candy or snacks, at least during Boot! Trust me, he’ll appreciate it in the long run

Ha, dude, I remember people getting them and the whole platoon lining up to get one M&M.

Ha, dude, I remember people getting them and the whole platoon lining up to get one M&M.

Of course, well all paid dearly for it with sweat and pain, but people would surprised how much you'll take for a bit of "normal". lol

Yeah, I remember those days, I sent specific instructions not to have any sent to me. We didn’t get to share, but we all had to burn the calories from each candy bar a private got

Congrats marine dad. I remember when I left for Army basic training like it was yesterday November 2002. It sucked mostly the weather but looking back I had a great time.

-
Back