Toe out

-

jarhead 69

Reaction score
1968 Valiant. Front conversion to disk/5 on 4.5 Wilwood. What causes the tire to toe out. Guy a Randy 7-11 told mr sometimes the transport drivers really cinch a car down. Told me a bearing could be broken........comment/ideas? Thanks!

many things could cause a toe out but on an A body most likely culprits are the lower control arm bushings worn out or the strut rod bushings. If these are worn out it does no good to get an alignment if these are bad. Of course you should check all of your suspension components carefully to see what youve got.

Well uh..........details?

Was the car "transported" recently? You hit anything? Was it EVER correct since you had it? Have you been under there to see?

How do you know it is out? Have you had it on an alignment machine?

Toe in or toe out is usually tie rod ends and sleeves being out of adjustment. Bad camber can be more of an involved issue. Here's a chart.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 99
My bad, it is camber. The bottom of the tire sticks out further than the top of the tire. How do I know? I can see it. Yes recently transported from N.C. The driver already had it on the ground when I got to the lot so I didn't get to see it unloaded. Got into it this evening and the upper and lower ball joints are dry as a bone, all sorts of daylight around the bottom one. It is going to need a total front end rebuild. Good deal just went to a fair deal.

My bad, it is camber. The bottom of the tire sticks out further than the top of the tire. How do I know? I can see it. Yes recently transported from N.C. The driver already had it on the ground when I got to the lot so I didn't get to see it unloaded. Got into it this evening and the upper and lower ball joints are dry as a bone, all sorts of daylight around the bottom one. It is going to need a total front end rebuild. Good deal just went to a fair deal.

In this case it is probably just as suspected. (ball joints, but add bushings and VERY possibly tie rod ends and idler arm)

Like it or not it looks like a full front suspension go through is in order.

-
Back