Too many fish in the sea....

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, I'd like to introduce you to a little gem I just picked up, and yes, it just so happens to be a 1966 Barracuda. Heres a little story behind this car....

I have known this car now for the better part of 24 years now, since 1988 when my brother and a good friend of ours went in on it together. At the time it had just over 71,000 miles and looked a little tired, so it was treated to a fresh paint job and a set of Rallye rims and tires. Not long after that my brother sold out his interest in the car and it became Dave's.

Fast forward to November 2011, I get a call from Dave....can I help him sell the car??. He knows I have peeps (thats y'all) and am interested in all things 66 Cuda and thinks I can find it a good home. I had him hooked up with a buyer but the deal fell through and I knew Dave was really hurting for $$ so I bought it, even though I've been told that I need another car like I need......well, like I need another car!!!LOL!!

After getting it home and squeezing into the garage with the rest of the fish, I decided to go over the car with a fine tooth comb. Heres what I found...

It now has just over 75,000 miles, a mere 3,000 put on it by Dave in the past 24 years. Other than a few replacement parts, which I can just about count on one hand, the car is totally original. Everything works, nothing has been changed, even the carpet is the original. Yes, it needs some attention and items freshened up, but it's an honest car. The motor smokes and the heads were redone sometime in the 90's to change the valve seals, so I am assuming that one/some of the rings are stuck due to it's limited road use over the years. It has also had a section of the frame repaired and needs the rear crossbrace replaced. Went through the brakes and did a compression check, so I am going to play with it some and put a few miles on her and see what shakes out!!

Heres a few pics of the car, untouched and as arrived at my home this past week. It will probably come up for sale soon as I have no room for it, (or a couple other cars either!!), but I want to be confident in my assessment of the car and have just gotten started on my thorough analysis of this little gem.

Enjoy the evening all and thanks for letting me share:finga:, Geof

Attachments

• 100_3659.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 497
  • 100_3645.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 462
  • 100_3663.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 495
  • 100_3662.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 494
  • 100_3661.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 488
  • 100_3660.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 483
Nice looking car.Very nice that it's mostly original.

Attachments

• 4][py63452JPG.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 468
Nice score Geof!! It pays to keep tabs on previous vehicles!

Hey Steve, I kinda didn't have much choice in keeping tabs on it, seeing as how my brother was involved!! Both Dave and my brother worked at the same concrete plant that closed 3 years ago. That was also the last time Dave had a job, so he is really hurtin' for some $$.

I have also been in touch with the original owners family and am working my way back to the original purchaser of the car. I just hope "Aunt Bessie" is still around to give some history on the car. After talking with my brother last night, he informed me that when he purchased the car in 1988, it was completely original, right down to the original 13" tires and Formula S type hubcaps, both of which are still around. I got the hubcaps with the car, and am looking to get the rims and tires from Dave, although I don't really know why!!! I like the Rallyes on this particular car, must be the black!! Geof

Nice! If you decide to sell it, it won't last long. When I catch a nice fish I call it a keeper. You got one. tmm

Y'know Geof, the only reason you keep catching fish is because you're keeping your rod handy and fresh bait on the line! Plus, like many of us, you don't use the "catch and release" technique. Not that there's anything wrong with that lol..

Really looks sharp in black, and I also like the rallyes on it.

Grant

O MY GOODNESS :blob::D:D just Look at that 66 !!!
Congratulations Geof =D> That is a wall hanger/Keeper for sure :sunny:
I think all 66 A bodies look great with 14'' ralley wheels... better then the alternative :D
I see the pre owner was a blue's fan..

Attachments

• Challenger%2520IN%2520NASCAR%2520Cup%2520race%2520017.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 337
  • Ralley's%20004.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 345
O MY GOODNESS :blob::D:D just Look at that 66 !!!
Congratulations Geof =D> That is a wall hanger/Keeper for sure :sunny:
I think all 66 A bodies look great with 14'' ralley wheels... better then the alternative :D
I see the pre owner was a blue's fan..

Not just a blues fan Mike, Dave IS the blues!!!There were no less than 3 stereo's and 2 speaker enclosures in the car when I brought it home, and after offering Dave to get anything he wanted from the car, he just said he wanted his stereo's back!! Oh, and the Chicago Blues Fest stickers he put on the back window!!! Now thats the blues!!!

As for the rallyes, I didn't like them on Wendy's blue car for some reason and she liked the dogdish look better also, but on a black car they just stand out. Its gonna stay this way for as long as I have it!!! Geof

Wait. I saw just now, that that Cuda has the triangle in the center. Mine has the barracuda. Was that a mid year change or something? Also, could you take a few pictures of the WW fluid bottle and the whole wiring harness? Mine also has a power WW pump and I have no idea how to hook it up. I'm also not really sure which tank to buy from Year one.

Edit: just looked. All the tanks that look like that say that they are for the foot operated pumps and the only pump that looks the same is said that it's for the B bodies. Are they all the same then?

Do you mind if I bring my fishin pole over to your house for a few ? I can keep whatever I catch !!:blob::blob::blob:

If I recall correctly,and not to spoil any of this cars cool integrety,but I believe the Blues sticker is stragically placed over a rust hole that we never got around to replacing the bumper to fix. Nice to see my bro pick it up and also to help Dave out. Back when we owned this car a white 65 popped up for sale that was a 273 4 speed car that we considered buying to have a salt and pepper pair. But alas as two young aspiring chick magnets we decided that the price wasnt to our liking for the condition and we passed. We were wanting to put a good stereo system in it and didnt want to hack the car up so we looked for another rear fold down panel to install speakers,I dont think that ever happened after I sold out but still a good idea for those that own these fish!!

Muad, here are a couple pics of the WW assembly. There should be a spade plug coming out of the wiring harness right by the pump, which plugs into the terminal. The big hose from the bottle goes to the big nipple on the pump, and the little hose from the squirters comes out of the little nipple. It then goes under the bottle and up to the splitter where it turns into 2 hoses, one for each diverter. I don't know what they are offering for bottles from Year One, but I would suggest a call to Deutchmann Automotive and ask for Jeff. Not only are his prices lower by at least $5.00 but he is also a Mopar guy and has a 65 Cuda!! Give him a call at 419-352-7894.

As for the "V" on the medallion and window trim, this is an early build car (9-13) and the fish was a mid-year addition, sometime around the first of the year because my other 66 has the fish, and it is an early February build date!! Up until the change in trim all 64-5 cars had the "V" and all ealy 66 cars also!! Hope this helps, Geof

Attachments

• 100_3667.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_3668.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 231
If I recall correctly,and not to spoil any of this cars cool integrety,but I believe the Blues sticker is stragically placed over a rust hole that we never got around to replacing the bumper to fix. Nice to see my bro pick it up and also to help Dave out. Back when we owned this car a white 65 popped up for sale that was a 273 4 speed car that we considered buying to have a salt and pepper pair. But alas as two young aspiring chick magnets we decided that the price wasnt to our liking for the condition and we passed. We were wanting to put a good stereo system in it and didnt want to hack the car up so we looked for another rear fold down panel to install speakers,I dont think that ever happened after I sold out but still a good idea for those that own these fish!!

Its the ghost of Cuda's past!!!LOL!!! Thanks for the tales of this cars past there Bro, I didn't know there was gonna be a salt'n'pepa combo till read this!! And what says successful chick magnet like a big bubble back window!!! You can keep your Porsches and Beemers, its a big back glass that gets em' every time!! Oh, and thanks for blowin' the blues man's tricky cover-up... and he'd have gotten away with it too if it wern't for those pesky kids!!! Geof

And for all you fishermen out there, it's open season on Barracuda here in the mitten, but there as rare as Sturgeon around here!!!LOL You're more than welcome to come and try your hand though!!!

And what says successful chick magnet like a big bubble back window!!! You can keep your Porsches and Beemers, its a big back glass that gets em' every time!!

There is nothing better than spending an evening on a deserted road under the starlit skys in the back of a cuda with... (cant speak, wife nearby).

The bad of course, is waking up in the hot, sunlit morning with dry mouth and trying to open the dang trunk from the inside to get some fresh air in so you can breathe again hahah..

Grant

There is nothing better than spending an evening on a deserted road under the starlit skys in the back of a cuda with... (cant speak, wife nearby).

The bad of course, is waking up in the hot, sunlit morning with dry mouth and trying to open the dang trunk from the inside to get some fresh air in so you can breathe again hahah..

Grant

Ummmm...sounds like someone was already livin' that dream huh, Grant???LOL!!! Oops, wife still hovering!!! Geof

-
Back