Took 6 years, but I'm finally starting my new race car.

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Back in 2005 life was good and I was racing my 67 Super Gas Barracuda. Then came time to pay for my daughters wedding and BAM! I had to sell the race car,26' enclosed trailer. even the Honda 150 elite scooter. It was a sad day indeed. But 6 years later I'm expecting my first grandson, and my daughter is still married to a great son in law and they are doing fine. So it was all worth it. After I sold my race car I promised the wife I wouldn't build another one until I retired. Well Sept 13 2011 I retired after 28 years as as fireman. So it is game on. I have been buying race parts all along and storing them for the day i could start building my new car. Well today I took my 68 Dart Sedan to Orlando to have Guitar Jones or Steve and his buddy Lyle for them to install a backhalf frame section and install the 10 pt. cage. Ah life is GOOD! Steve is going to post some pictures as he makes progress. I posting a picture of my old SG 67 Barracuda and then post some picture of the start of my New soon to 68 NSS Dart.

67-1.jpg

5-20-12 Car loaded up headed to Guitar Jones place

DARTHEADEDTOSTEVES.jpg

Another picture

DARTHEADEDTOSTEVES-1.jpg

Unloaded at Lyles house to get the Back half and roll cage installed

DARTDELIVEREDTOKYLESHOUSE.jpg

Roy,I am Happy for you !!!
I will be watching this build.
Martin

awesome! I love the paint scheme you had on the Cuda! Reminds me of this slot car I found on ebay. I always wanted to copy it for my car but never did..

Attachments

• cool cuda.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 3,362
Enjoy your build and new race car...it's nice to see another Mopar being built.

Very cool, I've seen your car on the net over the years and thought it was pretty cool! Good luck with your next build! I'll be checking in once and a while.

It's been a long wait but it's finnally underway. Little does the wife know I've been buying parts and storing them for the last 6 years. It's going to be a 4 link back half car with a 470 low deck stroker, stage VI max wedge heads, And a STR-14 with two 750 Edelbrocks,Fairbanks 727.

awesome! I love the paint scheme you had on the Cuda! Reminds me of this slot car I found on ebay. I always wanted to copy it for my car but never did..

Except for the barb wire that looks a lot like my old 67 SG. I'll look for more pictures.

I was there today when you dropped off the dart, your in good hands with lyle and steve, lyle did all the metal work on my 69 dart and he does a great job, I know you'll be happy with the results . I'll be watching up close and personal on this one.

You're a better man than me.......if my Daughter needed me to sell the race car to fund her wedding , I'd be moving the reception to White Castle. :D
The Cuda was a very nice looking race car , so you have raised the bar for the Dart project.

Great to hear that you're getting on it in a big way.. Now please answer me on how you're going to slowly remove those parts you've been gathering from the house without raising suspicion.. Or are you going to just keep taking some cash out and telling her you are just buying the parts now?

Grant

Great to hear that you're getting on it in a big way.. Now please answer me on how you're going to slowly remove those parts you've been gathering from the house without raising suspicion.. Or are you going to just keep taking some cash out and telling her you are just buying the parts now?

Grant

That's how I would do it because as anyone who has built a car like this knows you need to figure whatever you think it's going to cost it will probably be about 3X that. lol

Stuff is ordered Roy, I'm excited about starting this project. I like the post cars so this should be cool when done.

Thanks to being maried to a one of a kind wife, she has been aware of all the parts I've been buying over the years. So I won't have a problem pulling out the parts.

Here's a couple pics. We spent a lot of time looking it over measuring and discussing just how we were going to do this so there wasn't a lot of actual fabrication done yet. lol We did discover that whoever built the previous car the rear frame section was installed in was just f'd up.

Anyway we did get the rear assembled to the frame and the most important rear crossmember located and welded in. This is the most important part as all measurements will be based off of that so we spent a lot of time getting it properly located and cut.

Attachments

• sgbarracuda 001.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 3,121
  • sgbarracuda 002.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 3,075
  • sgbarracuda 003.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 3,017
That's how I would do it because as anyone who has built a car like this knows you need to figure whatever you think it's going to cost it will probably be about 3X that. lol

Stuff is ordered Roy, I'm excited about starting this project. I like the post cars so this should be cool when done.

That was my first thought,cool a post car.Gonna be a cool build. Looking at your old ride I would say you know what youre doing and looks like you are in good hands.

good start on the car steve, the pictures are good, but lets not forget that when you were doing your scamp the most askes questions on the build were about lyles two dogs, so in the future please include them, because i know for a fact they are somewhere close by and love race car builds. and please no french words of any kind this time.you know what i'm talking about. love curt.

good start on the car steve, the pictures are good, but lets not forget that when you were doing your scamp the most askes questions on the build were about lyles two dogs, so in the future please include them, because i know for a fact they are somewhere close by and love race car builds. and please no french words of any kind this time.you know what i'm talking about. love curt.

There's something just not right about you. lol

We got the frame connectors fitted and tacked in but the weather turned too nasty to do much else. Rain and wind from the tropical storm north of us was the cause.

Attachments

• sgbarracuda 001.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 2,956
-
Back