Took the Dart to the track for the first time in 9 years

-

Lars

Reaction score
Last night I took my 70 to the track for the first time since 2000.

Best et: 14.31 @ 94 mph with a 2.19 60ft
Best trap: 14.43 @ 97.74 with a 2.39 60ft

Car is totally out of balance and the tires must be made out of axle grease, first gear was completely useless, which is ironic considering I'm running 3.23 gears, 28" tall tires, with a 3K stall converter. Shift point was 5K, car would be completely out of breath at about 5200, I attribute this to the stock valve J heads and 625cfm carb.

Overall I was pretty pleased with it because I was expecting a mid 14 run at best, and I almost hit low 14's. Ironically I had a hard time launching the car and red lighted several times due to flashing the converter and rolling out of the lights prematurely. This makes me want to stick the 833 I have sitting in the corner in it even more now (I have a 5.0 with a T-5 that I can launch much better). The big deal was I drove 180+ miles round trip and the car didn't break. I got close though at one point when I got stuck in some stupid construction that caused traffic to come to an almost complete stand still for over 30 minutes. I almost got clear of it and my car hit about 230 degrees and vapor locked (I assume).

Only way I could get it running again, was to floor it and crank on it, then I had to keep it around 3K rpms to keep it alive. Almost didn't make it, but once I got back up to highway speeds it cooled back down to 180. This is due to my homemade shroud not being deep enough, so that got added to the to do list also. It had been fine before, but I never got stuck in traffic that bad before.

All in all not too bad for only having $1200 invested in the engine I'd say.

most of the time your first time to the track with a car, your goals are not fullfilled to what you expect the car to run...

usually takes a few times to get the bugs out of the car...and some fine tuning of the carb...ignition...

running street tires is always a challenge....you usually have to walk the car off the starting line before you can nail the trottle...

first time with my 73 duster at the track it ran in the mid 15...but by the 3rd trip...it ran 14.01 @ 102...walking it off the starting line..

but if you are happy for what you got invested in it....good.

most of the time your first time to the track with a car, your goals are not fullfilled to what you expect the car to run...

usually takes a few times to get the bugs out of the car...and some fine tuning of the carb...ignition...

running street tires is always a challenge....you usually have to walk the car off the starting line before you can nail the trottle...

first time with my 73 duster at the track it ran in the mid 15...but by the 3rd trip...it ran 14.01 @ 102...walking it off the starting line..

but if you are happy for what you got invested in it....good.

Oh yeah, I know if I can get the gears/tires/converter matched up the car has 13's in it pretty easy. Ironically I can launch my 5 speed mustang on street tires a lot better then I could the Dart. Dart has some super cheap highway radials on it though, they are just awful.

Get some drag radials on there..and go back to the track,street tires are made for the street:-D:-D

Next step is good street slick tires!
I cut half a second off my et just by doing that.
Best bang for buck i think!

Just finished up extending the shroud on the Dart, it wouldn't hold a shop towel on the rad when it was running, now it'll suck em up onto the grill. Gotta go out and try it to see how it does tomorrow. Its ghetto fabulous, but it works.

-
Back