Top Gear... Challenger vs Camaro vs Mustang

-
Saw that, the '70 Challenger smoked the Boss 302 and the Camaro. They didn't say if what engine it was though.

I going to guess that the challenger had a 340. And I think the new challenger would have had them too if the race was not messed up.

The new Challenger and the old Challenger were the fastest cars. It is obvious the guy driving the Challenger has not had a lot of experience with the brakes on old Mopars.
~Michael

Back in the early 1970's everybody knew the cars went much quicker with headers, more gear in back and more compression-you pulled the heads and milled them while doing some porting and a valve job

But are the 1970 cars tested with 4.56 gears and other mods and racing fuel--which was sold just about at gas stations in 1972--the old Sunco ads said the gas at the pumps was the same as racing fuel but low vapor pressure for cold starts.

Now I guess a supercharger on the new 6.1 litler engine would be of help--and 100 octane no lead gas. Just seems much more expensive then before

Just so you guys know ,the driver makes a huge difference.Only real comparison test I'd believe would be all three tested and driven on a track by the same driver,otherwise there's no point.

We are talking about top gear USA right? I cant seem to find the program on my sattelite tv..

People DON'T know how to drive, just watch traffic.

Getting worst also with this graduated driver licenses for teenagers-young drivers. Less hands on time behind the wheel as their reflexes-eyesight degrade. Now its not till age 35--45 before you can afford a real fast car--unless you go motorcycle

Those are the "best" drivers now of days, the punks on their racing bikes--least till they hit something, then its no second chance

Getting worst also with this graduated driver licenses for teenagers-young drivers. Less hands on time behind the wheel as their reflexes-eyesight degrade. Now its not till age 35--45 before you can afford a real fast car--unless you go motorcycle

Those are the "best" drivers now of days, the punks on their racing bikes--least till they hit something, then its no second chance

The young kid on Top Gear isn't bad but the other two are clueless. The guy in the Mustang was afraid to drive it and the guy with the Challenger , I thought He was going to start screaming like a girl when He hit 150 mph.

Yeah tanner is a really good driver the other two are kind of funny but not so much on the driving aspect lol.

Now I guess a supercharger on the new 6.1 litler engine would be of help--and 100 octane no lead gas. Just seems much more expensive then before

This is more true than anyone could imagine nowadays. In 1970, you could get a Hemi Challenger for around $4,500. this equates to about $26k in today's dollars (we're talking about MSRP here). In 1970, that Challenger was the king of the hill and at the top of the Challenger line up...in other words, it was expensive by 1970 standards. Compare that to the top offering SRT8 Challenger today. A new SRT8 will cost you close to almost $45k. Granted, the new Challenger is a much better car, but you're paying almost double as you would for the same level of upgrade in 1970. The dollar isn't worth as much today as it was in 1970. It's very difficult to justify value in purchasing a car nowadays new or used when comparing to MSRP 30 years ago.

As for Top Gear US? Definitely doesn't have the magic of British Top Gear. However, US Top Gear is still entertaining. I look at it as entertainment value. Obviously, the races aren't set up with equal factors. So take it for what it's worth and no more.

The higher price of cars is further complicated by the FACT wages have not kept up. Wages have not kept up because investors moved thier business to china so they would not have to pay wages commensurate to the work.

SICK.

I still see way too many people with phones pinned to their ears while driving. It's not surprising that these are the ones cutting other people off, unsafe lane changes or driving slow in the passing lanes.

The higher price of cars is further complicated by the FACT wages have not kept up. Wages have not kept up because investors moved thier business to china so they would not have to pay wages commensurate to the work.

SICK.

It's not just China. I know everyone wants to make China the bad guy here, but it's been happening for a long time now.

I remember back in the 80's when the largest U.S. companies were opening factories in Mexico. There was the same backlash back then as there is now. And yes, it also contributed to the wage problem and possibly even started it. The reason most people blame China is because they are the Mexico of the internet age.

It's not just China. I know everyone wants to make China the bad guy here, but it's been happening for a long time now.

I remember back in the 80's when the largest U.S. companies were opening factories in Mexico. There was the same backlash back then as there is now. And yes, it also contributed to the wage problem and possibly even started it. The reason most people blame China is because they are the Mexico of the internet age.

True enough. Whereever the stuff ends up getting made,it's always because investor's want more money for themselves. Makes one hell of an arguement for worker's also being owner's. At least that way the worker would have a say.

Man Apple is making me sick right now with thier worker's killing themselves.Sickens me that the people assembling Apple stuff could never afford to buy it. The folk's that helped make this possible are the problem.

Back in the early 1970's everybody knew the cars went much quicker with headers, more gear in back and more compression-you pulled the heads and milled them while doing some porting and a valve job

But are the 1970 cars tested with 4.56 gears and other mods and racing fuel--which was sold just about at gas stations in 1972--the old Sunco ads said the gas at the pumps was the same as racing fuel but low vapor pressure for cold starts.

The new challys can really be woke up but it costs ya. I race a guy at our local strip that is door to door with my fish. His car has a built engine but weighs 4400 pounds.

This is more true than anyone could imagine nowadays. In 1970, you could get a Hemi Challenger for around $4,500. this equates to about $26k in today's dollars (we're talking about MSRP here). In 1970, that Challenger was the king of the hill and at the top of the Challenger line up...in other words, it was expensive by 1970 standards. Compare that to the top offering SRT8 Challenger today. A new SRT8 will cost you close to almost $45k. Granted, the new Challenger is a much better car, but you're paying almost double as you would for the same level of upgrade in 1970. The dollar isn't worth as much today as it was in 1970. It's very difficult to justify value in purchasing a car nowadays new or used when comparing to MSRP 30 years ago.

As for Top Gear US? Definitely doesn't have the magic of British Top Gear. However, US Top Gear is still entertaining. I look at it as entertainment value. Obviously, the races aren't set up with equal factors. So take it for what it's worth and no more.

See anything that may explain why cars are way higher now than back in the day? :banghead:

inflation-currency.jpg

Was happy that the challenger would have won the drag race if Rut had known how to stop better.

-
Back