Tornados

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I seen that a lot of tornadoes has gone through several states. I hope that none of you had any serious damage to property or personal injury. We have more storm's yet today. Be careful and stay safe my mopar friends

Yep, had some bad damage yesterday out toolmanmike area, looks like tonight near 8pm its bearing in on west Arkansas and gaining strength again @Sublime one

Hey guys
Here In DesMoines I sat on my back porch and watched the one that hit Pleasant hill go right by me .only about a half mile east of my house, was on the ground for about 7 miles.
no damage here though. Thank you.!!!

Last edited:
Hey guys
here I DesMoines I sat on my back porch and watched the one that hit Pleasant hill go right buy me .only about a half mile east of my house, was on the ground for about 7 miles.
Love it.
20230210_193656.jpg

Hope everyone is alright, one missed my folks place in TN December 9th by about 800 feet. Their house was fine but that was a close call.

Had one go north of my area close to Butler, Mo area. Radar indicated. Don't know about visual confirmation

I am from Kansas. I totally understand how dangerous tornados can be, and my heart goes out to the people who have suffered loss due to the latest breakout.
I saw a tornado one time when I was stationed in Arkansas at Little Rock AFB.
Let me tell you something about the tornado warning system here. I can sum it up with 6 words, "The little boy who cried wolf". A tornado "Warning" used to mean that a tornado had actually been sighted on the ground, it is heading your way and you should take cover immediately. Nowadays a tornado warning means that one was either spotted on the ground, or someone spotted what could become a tornado in a thunderstorm using doppler radar. The latter method is by FAR the one used most often. In the last 30 years since I have retired from the Air Force, the tornado sirens have gone off here DOZENS of times, and a tornado has yet to hit the ground within 50 miles of me. I KNOW that people in charge are just trying to keep us safe, but they have jumped the gun so many times that most people don't even pay attention anymore. After the sirens going off 100 times with no actual tornado, what would you expect.

Don't get me wrong, I realize why they do it, but I still say it is a classic example of "The little boy who cried wolf". One of these days a tornado really will hit the ground here, and a lot of people who ignored their hundredth warning are going to get hurt.

Last edited:
With all of these severe storms, the insurance companies are probably going to kick people's insurance rates through the roof

I am from Kansas. I totally understand how dangerous tornados can be, and my heart goes out to the people who have suffered loss due to the latest breakout.
I saw a tornado one time when I was stationed in Arkansas at Little Rock AFB.
Let me tell you something about the tornado warning system here. I can sum it up with 6 words, "The little boy who cried wolf". A tornado "Warning" used to mean that a tornado had actually been sighted on the ground, it is heading your way and you should take cover immediately. Nowadays a tornado warning means that one was either spotted on the ground, or someone spotted what could become a tornado in a thunderstorm using doppler radar. The latter method is by FAR the one used most often. In the last 30 years since I have retired from the Air Force, the tornado sirens have gone off here DOZENS of times, and a tornado has yet to hit the ground within 50 miles of me. I KNOW that people in charge are just trying to keep us safe, but they have jumped the gun so many times that most people don't even pay attention anymore. After the sirens going off 100 times with no actual tornado, what would you expect.

Don't get me wrong, I realize why they do it, but I still say it is a classic example of "The little boy who cried wolf". One of these days a tornado really will hit the ground here, and a lot of people who ignored their hundredth warning are going to get hurt.

They're trying to save lives, there's a pretty solid chance based on doppler radar, especially with a hook echo present that there is one trying to drop. In some cases it's night or rain wrapped so seeing it for real is tricky.

They actually do have levels... Radar Indicated, Confirmed (Meaning someone saw it), PDS (Particulary Dangerous Situaton) - which means on the ground and extremely strong, and Tornado Emergency - meaning its especially life threatening and going to hit a populated area.

The better radar apps have this on their warnings - like RadarOmega.

Ryan Hall Y'all on YouTube's live streams have explained all this.

In the case of my parent's storm on Dec 9, they had a Tornado emergency.

Glad you have gotten lucky because where my parents are they've had 4 tornadoes within 5 miles in the last 20 years. Even where I'm at we've had 2 in the last 8.

They're trying to save lives, there's a pretty solid chance based on doppler radar, especially with a hook echo present that there is one trying to drop. In some cases it's night or rain wrapped so seeing it for real is tricky.

They actually do have levels... Radar Indicated, Confirmed (Meaning someone saw it), PDS (Particulary Dangerous Situaton) - which means on the ground and extremely strong, and Tornado Emergency - meaning its especially life threatening and going to hit a populated area.

The better radar apps have this on their warnings - like RadarOmega.

Ryan Hall Y'all on YouTube's live streams have explained all this.

In the case of my parent's storm on Dec 9, they had a Tornado emergency.

Glad you have gotten lucky because where my parents are they've had 4 tornadoes within 5 miles in the last 20 years. Even where I'm at we've had 2 in the last 8.
I hear you. I know they have our safety at heart. Don't get me wrong, I am just saying that over time, people will get to the point where they may disregard the tornado sirens when the last 50 times they went off, there were no actual tornados.
I am very familiar with doppler radar. I am a retired USAF Navigator with 9600 flying hours. I have hundreds of hours with my face glued to a radar scope.
We don't see or hear those levels here. We have Tornado Watches and Tornado Warnings. If you happen to be watching a local weather channel at the time the tornado sirens went off, they might tell you the source of the warning. If not, all you hear is the tornado sirens going off. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that never ending warnings with sirens is going to build up a 'resistance' to those warnings.

I know We have Members in the Murfreesboro area of TN, I wondered if They've checked in or been reached out to, UT may have had to grab a couple extra packs of Marlboros & take shelter....

I hear you. I know they have our safety at heart. Don't get me wrong, I am just saying that over time, people will get to the point where they may disregard the tornado sirens when the last 50 times they went off, there were no actual tornados.
I am very familiar with doppler radar. I am a retired USAF Navigator with 9600 flying hours. I have hundreds of hours with my face glued to a radar scope.
We don't see or hear those levels here. We have Tornado Watches and Tornado Warnings. If you happen to be watching a local weather channel at the time the tornado sirens went off, they might tell you the source of the warning. If not, all you hear is the tornado sirens going off. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that never ending warnings with sirens is going to build up a 'resistance' to those warnings.
1714609730277.png
1714609747656.png

This was from yesterday, the left is the RadarOmega app with the box where it says radar indicated and on the right is the text that comes in any app, is broadcast on the NOAA weather radio station, and should be scrolled on the screen on TV which says the source.

If they update it it will say confirmed and the text will be updated.

Anyone who ignores the sirens is really playing with fire. Its critical to get the real information and at least get inside and getting in the basement if possible is best. Things happen fast.

-
Back