Torque Box Questions???

-

MonkeyMadness

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of redoing my rear suspension and I questioning the need of the torque boxes if using a spring re-locator kit.
If your using a US Tool spring re-locator kit on the rear to move in the suspension center with the frame would the need for rear torque boxes still be needed? Asking only cause it looks as if the spring perch is moved from it's current location, and centered with the frame the force of the suspension under load would now be transmitted directly to the frame... Or am I off base and it's more for the shear or twisting forces upon suspension load... But even then would the need for the rear boxes still be null and void if using re-locator kit?

USCTAM2003 010.JPG
s-l1600.jpg

Probably has less effect. But still acts like a gusset. Convertibles put them there to stop body twist.

Moving the springs to the frame does nothing to improve the stiffness of the chassis. The torque boxes aren't there to back up the spring mount, they box the connection between the rockers and the frame rails. Boxing the corners significantly improves the torsional rigidity of the chassis. Take a look at the front torque box. No suspension mounts within a foot in any direction, and yet they still improve the chassis.

The rear torque boxes will work just as well with the spring relocation because they're boxing the connection of the frame rails (which now house the spring mounts) to the rest if the chassis.

The torque boxes tie the rockers and the frame together.

-
Back