Torque Converter ID

-

scatpakman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an easy way to ID an aftermarket torque converter? Car club guy has what he claims is a BB 727 converter with a 3000 stall. It is 1-1/2" smaller than my stock one. If it is what he says, it's a good buy @ $100. Has never been installed.

Hi, Sounds like an 11" converter. Look to see if there are any number and letter stampings on the pump cover of the converter and post them. Hopefully we will an ID on the piece. Hope this helps.

Hi, Sounds like an 11" converter. Look to see if there are any number and letter stampings on the pump cover of the converter and post them. Hopefully we will an ID on the piece. Hope this helps.

Hey Mr. Lenny, word on this forum says the you're the guro guy to go to for high stall converters. Welcome and you and me are going to be talking in the fall when I got some money to spend.:toothy10::toothy10:

Terry

I've got a 904 converter that stalls around 3800 , but I'm not sure of the brand. How do I I.D. it ?? I had it in my 340 Dart so I know the stall speed.

Did Mopar ever install a 1800ish rpm stall 904 converter from the factory ? I have since gone back to the 4 speed in my dart and want to use the 904 in my 68 fastback which is much milder than the Dart.

Lenny,

Here's what I found on the converter.

F6 Stamped on case
HS7 Stamped on case
5333 Stamped on case
Does this mean anything? Q 764 was marked on the converter as well.

Hope this can shed some light on the subject.

The 764 designates that it will fit a 727. I'm going to guess that the HS7 means high stall for that particular core, there is no way of telling if the stator is modified short of opening it. As far as the other numbers, I don't know as every manufacturer has their own codes, I was hoping for something familiar. If it has been modified, I would think it would be pro rated at approximately 2300-2500 stall in a relatively mild street application. Hope this helps you out a little.

I've got a 904 converter that stalls around 3800 , but I'm not sure of the brand. How do I I.D. it ?? I had it in my 340 Dart so I know the stall speed.

Did Mopar ever install a 1800ish rpm stall 904 converter from the factory ? I have since gone back to the 4 speed in my dart and want to use the 904 in my 68 fastback which is much milder than the Dart.

Hi, All the factory stock factory 904's came with an 11" converter stock. Most of the earlier units came with a neutral or straight fin angle and a decent stator combo that were pro rated from the factory to stall approx. 1600 behind the smaller motors. The later models came with a much more aggressive fin angle and a very efficient stator combo as a result of the gas crunch of the '70s, these were pro rated at approx 1200 stock. If you have an earlier unit, it would be the best choice(These cores came with the taller mounting pads in most cases). As far as the 3800 stall 904 converter you have, if you can get the numbers and letters off the cover I will try my best to help out. Hope this helps.

Lenny, Good too see you posting here. It's a good bunch of guys around these parts.

Hey Mr. Lenny, word on this forum says the you're the guro guy to go to for high stall converters. Welcome and you and me are going to be talking in the fall when I got some money to spend.:toothy10::toothy10:

Terry

Hi Terry, Whenever your ready I would be more than happy to personally assist you in selecting the right converter for your combo.

Lenny, just wanted to say thank you for the info. That may not be enough stall for what I'm attempting. Will you be attending the Mopar Nationals in Columbus this year?

dan

Hi Dan, I believe that is the weekend of Aug. 7-9. All Depends on schedule and workload. Being a small shop and extremely busy it's hard to get any time to myself. It's time consuming but I love what I do and our customers always come first. I raced NHRA Stock and Super Stock wedge and Hemi cars for 25 years, so I can appreciate a company that does what it says and takes care of it's customers whether it's product, service or just information. If I can help out in any way, feel free to contact me at the shop.

maybe some one can help me.... i have what appears to be a 11" converter date code painted in yellow(looks like a stamp) 8 92.. the only numbers i have found are on the pump side and they are 3247.. on the motor side there is a b and i think a o oppisite from each other. it is a externally ballanced converter and is painted like a raw metal color. any help would be appreciated

-
Back