Torque converter question....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Typical Mopar build...360 Magnum 229/233 at .050 /110 lobe center hyd. roller,stock EQ heads ,thin head gaskets... 727 " 3:55 Trac Lok,27 inch BFG drag radials... Have a current 9.5 custom built GER,that was in the car... It's treated me ,very well.. (Good lock up,good gas mileage ..on past LA 360 combos) However,I have access to a Turbo Action 2800-3200 10 inch converter...
The current converter flashes 26-2700 on the street ,and locks up. Any opinions?

It's too deep for me as far as differences in the to converters stall wise......however, from a brand point of view, I would stick with the GER. You said yourself it worked well. Why take a chance?

Maybe improvements have been made? But I can tell you the 3500 non-loc up GER I had in a Dart with 3.91's was very spongy, and ruined the thrust bearing on a 340 (crank had end to end play of about 1/8 inch or more). Just my experience. Heard it from others, too.

Appreciate ,all posts...Thanks, guys....
Edit: for 318's post... The higher dollar GER converter series,seems to survive....

I run a 3200-3400 non lock Turbo Action S-800 10" and love it. It's the tight version for street. About 10k miles and 300 passes so far. 360 Mag/904/3.91 [email protected]

318 you need a converter with an anti-balloon plate. those converters usually cost 2 to 3 hunderd more. Under sever acceleration the converter expands pushing the crank forward against the thrust bearing.

I am running a tight street version 10 inch converter from turbo action and it works great stalls about 3200 have had zero problems after 5000 miles.

318 you need a converter with an anti-balloon plate. those converters usually cost 2 to 3 hunderd more. Under sever acceleration the converter expands pushing the crank forward against the thrust bearing.
I understand how it happened. It was my 1st and last GER. I was just passing on my experience because I thought it was relevant to the discussion. To be fair to GER, it was about 20 yrs ago when I bought it. I rid myself of that converter 1 yr later.

-
Back