Torque Converter Stall Speed help.

-

DMC_78

Reaction score
Looking for advice on selecting the correct converter for my build. It’s actually going into a 78 Dodge D100 truck… but I come here for all the great tech information.

Combo is a 5.9 mag with good EQ heads, 9.4 compression, Hughes 218/222 hydraulic roller and 750 vac secondary carb.

Tranny is a A500 that I am currently rebuilding with a OD unit from a 518 with the newer gear set. Gearing out back is 3.91’s.

Looking for recommendations on stall speed and where to get a good converter built. I want a tight one that will stall when the gas is mashed, but will still drive good in town. I am looking to keep things lock up.

Open to ideas!

Thanks for your help.

Looking for advice on selecting the correct converter for my build. It’s actually going into a 78 Dodge D100 truck… but I come here for all the great tech information.

Combo is a 5.9 mag with good EQ heads, 9.4 compression, Hughes 218/222 hydraulic roller and 750 vac secondary carb.

Tranny is a A500 that I am currently rebuilding with a OD unit from a 518 with the newer gear set. Gearing out back is 3.91’s.

Looking for recommendations on stall speed and where to get a good converter built. I want a tight one that will stall when the gas is mashed, but will still drive good in town. I am looking to keep things lock up.

Open to ideas!

Thanks for your help.
I'm running a stroked 5.9 Magnum with a Precision of New Hampton 3800 stall 3 disc lock-up converter into a Stage 2 Extreme Automatic's 2004R. The lock-up feature can only be activated in 4th gear, and their high quality converter is very efficient. It only drops about 350 rpm between the locked and un-locked position on the freeway.

My point is that buying a quality converter and opting for the lock-up feature is worth pursuing.

I just ordered another converter from Circle D Converters for another combo. Not cheap, but great customer service and reputation.

I'm running a stroked 5.9 Magnum with a Precision of New Hampton 3800 stall 3 disc lock-up converter into a Stage 2 Extreme Automatic's 2004R. The lock-up feature can only be activated in 4th gear, and their high quality converter is very efficient. It only drops about 350 rpm between the locked and un-locked position on the freeway.

My point is that buying a quality converter and opting for the lock-up feature is worth pursuing.

I just ordered another converter from Circle D Converters for another combo. Not cheap, but great customer service and reputation.

Great, thanks for the tip! I am definitely looking for quality components.

I like the recommendation in post#2. You don't need much of a stall and that's about the same as a factory high stall. It would work well.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I know what direction to take now.

I like the recommendation in post#2. You don't need much of a stall and that's about the same as a factory high stall. It would work well.
Buying a top-shelf torque converter properly matched to your combination by an expert in the field is one of the best investments you can make in a car with an automatic transmission.

My most recent purchase of a Circle D torque converter was this past week. The main issue the tech was concerned with using my upcoming combination of specs was for the idle not to be affected when dropping the car into gear. The stall speed is intimately intertwined with the idle rpm drop. He knew exactly how the various shapes of the internal components interact with each other with a given cam specs( seems mainly duration at .050" and LSA seem to be his main focus, but i'm no expert.

Buying a top-shelf torque converter properly matched to your combination by an expert in the field is one of the best investments you can make in a car with an automatic transmission.

My most recent purchase of a Circle D torque converter was this past week. The main issue the tech was concerned with using my upcoming combination of specs was for the idle not to be affected when dropping the car into gear. The stall speed is intimately intertwined with the idle rpm drop. He knew exactly how the various shapes of the internal components interact with each other with a given cam specs( seems mainly duration at .050" and LSA seem to be his main focus, but i'm no expert.
I absolutely agree with you 100%. In this case though.....and they are rare, I admit, I think an off the shelf 2400 or so will work fine.

-
Back