Torque or horsepower?

-
I suspect D-Dyno has single in-out flow models that are good in the mid to upper RPM ranges.. I don't opine (at this point in my thinking) that those models hold up all that well once you stray from 'standard' configurations.

Can you show up the TQ and HP graphs for this high torque configuration?

I can tell you that a (as I figured it) 375 ft-lbs to 325 HP balance was pretty nice for all around use on the street.
I think you're right. The software engineers have to start with a baseline. I start with a stock spec engine and it ends up very close to stock hp and tq specs. You can build from there.

Dartfreak75 Sounds like a race! Next time I come thru visiting my Daughter in NC.... I'm looking you up.
I'll let you balance the scales with a few sand bags so we are on equal ground. LOL!
Lol well I don't have anywhere close that power. Wish I did. I would love to have a diesel but they are stupid expensive around here all your concrete cowboys jacked the prices up by hotroding them. I work with a guy that just bought a 2000 Cummins paid 12k for in with 200k miles and it's in the shop needing a transmission. My 01 1500 i paid 2500 for and have drove it every day for 7 years with no problems. I dont understand why ppl pay 10k plus for a 20 year old truck just to have a diesel. I would rather build a gas engine that will run just as good (or close) and it still start when its cold outside without an extension cord!

I'm with AJ on this one. If its more than the tires can handle, its not helping anything - unless you're into burnout contests. Top end power, yea, its mostly for play time in the 1/4 mile, or to some degree on a road course. So all coes down to how you want to use it.

sounds like an engine that will be done quick. good truck or tractor specs.

Just build it like you're gonna build it. It'll make plenty of both.

On paper a 365cuber looks real good for a streeter at 1 cubic inch per pound, and 1 to 1.1 hp per cubic inch. Let the torque be what it will be........ Cheap,easy, low maintenance, dribedachit outofit dead-reliable..

Last edited:
If the torque curve is flat, that's exactly how the engine will feel in driving above the rpm of the torque peak. Add 10* duration at .050, same lift, and see what it does.

Lol well I don't have anywhere close that power. Wish I did. I would love to have a diesel but they are stupid expensive around here all your concrete cowboys jacked the prices up by hotroding them. I work with a guy that just bought a 2000 Cummins paid 12k for in with 200k miles and it's in the shop needing a transmission. My 01 1500 i paid 2500 for and have drove it every day for 7 years with no problems. I dont understand why ppl pay 10k plus for a 20 year old truck just to have a diesel. I would rather build a gas engine that will run just as good (or close) and it still start when its cold outside without an extension cord!
The 12v and 24v trucks are very sought after. I paid 20k for my '02 2500 4x4 with 130k miles, 2 years ago. IMO they are a better truck than the new ones, which I've owned. About the transmissions, I agree and it's known they are **** and barely can handle the stock power, first thing ya gotta do is build it up with billet internals and a good torque converter. Then You're G2G.

The 12v and 24v trucks are very sought after. I paid 20k for my '02 2500 4x4 with 130k miles, 2 years ago. IMO they are a better truck than the new ones, which I've owned. About the transmissions, I agree and it's known they are **** and barely can handle the stock power, first thing ya gotta do is build it up with billet internals and a good torque converter. Then You're G2G.
Yea you right about that. If I was gonna get one it would be a manual transmission.

Now you're talkin! The 12v trucks with a manual is the holy grail.
Back when I was in college I had the. Chance to buy a 12v gen 1 manual trans. Dually for 1500 bucks and didnt cause I didnt like that it had a flat bed! I kick myself now for not buying it!!

dartfreak75 As one of those "diesel guys" 500 ft lbs of torque is cute- my 2012 6.7 Cummins factory HO engine.
When I bought it the specs were like 890 ft lbs but other claim over 900 ft lbs.

Tool Man Mike- if that little engine is producing that much in figures - how long will it last?

Unless you have a programmer the 2012 were rated to 800 ft lb of torque with an auto, Manuel had 610 ft lb, according to Cummins hub, I have a 14 and it's rated at 850 with the aisin auto trans which mines has, 2016-2017 had 900 ft lb again with the aisin, and the 2018 have 930 with Aisin 3500 model only. All the higher torque numbers are for 3500 only. 6.7L Cummins ISB Turbodiesel Specs

Torque and horsepower compliment each other

After 650 ft. lbs. it's nothing but a winkie measuring contest anyway. And to think how the lowly 6v71 Detroit had to make do with 218 HP and 600 Ft. lb. to pull a 40 foot trailer up the highway.

After my dart is finished that is my next project. To hop up my ram. I want to find a low miles 5.2 or 5.9 and do a stout build then add a turbo. My current engine has 255k on it so I'm not sure it's a worthy candidate for rebuilding in all honesty I'm not sure my truck is either I may be looking for another chassis to build on my frame is starting to rust.

That's the perfect one.
It's called a "Seasoned block"!!!!

If your just wanting to re ring it, then maybe not.........

I played with my Desktop Dyno, and my Drag Strip Dyno, Many many times before i came up with the plans for my curent 408.
Is it accurate ???? NO! BUT, if you can look at it as numbers only you can start to get the jist of what works what don't.
I built some CRAzy eng combo, that were just plain ridiculous, but i had a lot of fun doing it without the cost of a real dyno times, let alone all the useless part i would have had to buy.
I found out that some of my High HP combos didn't do so well when i loaded that eng on my Drag Strip Dyno..........That's when i real started learning and looking more then at the top HP number.
A good torque curve was way more impressive, every time over top HP numbers.

Any ways, it's a fun tool that you can learn a lot from.

After 650 ft. lbs. it's nothing but a winkie measuring contest anyway. And to think how the lowly 6v71 Detroit had to make do with 218 HP and 600 Ft. lb. to pull a 40 foot trailer up the highway.

Hey I bought my truck because I needed a truck and the company I worked for got some great deals from Chrysler. And it's not the winkie game it's the ego come on now have to carry our big heads cause it's a diesel lol. Yeah yours pulled that 40 ft how it did, the newer ones just pull them a Lot easier. Here is Cali they are trying to stop regular people from buying 3500 size trucks and keeping them just for commercial only so I have heard, course here in Cali you never know what they might pass.

them 2 stroke driptriots got more done with less power than any work horse motor ever! a good 8v71 make that 218 look like a mini mule,but now a 12v71 didnt have to climb mountains,..it could just move them!

-
Back