Torque specifications for wheel hub

-

Chris Biggs

Reaction score
What, if any, are the torque specifications for the wheel hub connection to the suspension knuckle for a 66 Barracuda? I put them on using wrenches but want to make sure I have them torqued to the correct specs. Any assistance or direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mymopar.com has factory service manuals free download.

If they don't have your particular year or make try a year later or earlier and Plymouth vs dodge.

What, if any, are the torque specifications for the wheel hub connection to the suspension knuckle for a 66 Barracuda? I put them on using wrenches but want to make sure I have them torqued to the correct specs. Any assistance or direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The hub to the spindle? Use the factory procedure. In 55 years, I have never torqued the nut to a specific torque. I tighten the nut while spinning the spindle, back it out and tighten until there is slight drag and zero endplay. Sometimes I do that 2 or more times to get just the right feel. I have never had a wheel bearing failure.

Last edited:
First we must know what the OP is talking about. I don't. You talking about the spindle nut, which adjusts the front bearings? Or the lower spindle bolts to the steering knuckle/ ball joint?

Like toolmanmike, I've been doing this sort of thing for 50 some years now. If we're talking about a spindle nut, I tighten it with some channel locks to make sure everything is seated, then back it off so the nut is loose, now tighten it with just your fingers until all free play is gone. Rotate the cage around on the nut until the cotter pin will drop through and you're done. If none of the slots in the cage will allow the cotter pin to just slide through, you can tighten the nut just tad to get one to line up and work. Do not loosen the nut to achieve this! Give the washer under the nut a slight pry with a screw driver to make sure it's still easy to move if you have to tighten the nut slightly more than finger tight. Spread the cotter pin and tap the grease cap on. If you're talking the spindle to ball joint bolts, the torque is 100 ft. lbs

First we must know what the OP is talking about. I don't. You talking about the spindle nut, which adjusts the front bearings? Or the lower spindle bolts to the steering knuckle/ ball joint?
Sorry for any confusion I may have caused, I'm more of a weekend mechanic than anything else and I'm still learning. I'm talking about the 4 bolts/nuts that connect the brake assembly to the front right control arm knuckle. I think I may have found the answer in the mymopars.com manual that I downloaded. However, in the manual where it gives torque, it gives it for the Valiant and "other than Valiant". So, since the Valiant and the Barracuda are described together earlier in the manual, I'm planning on using the torque given for the Valiant.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused, I'm more of a weekend mechanic than anything else and I'm still learning. I'm talking about the 4 bolts/nuts that connect the brake assembly to the front right control arm knuckle. I think I may have found the answer in the mymopars.com manual that I downloaded. However, in the manual where it gives torque, it gives it for the Valiant and "other than Valiant". So, since the Valiant and the Barracuda are described together earlier in the manual, I'm planning on using the torque given for the Valiant.
Assuming they're talking about an A-body Barracuda, I agree.

-
Back