Torque Specs

-

dartguy2360

Reaction score
I need some advice on the torque spec for the Rocker Arm rail on my 318 engine that came out of a 78 Dodge Aspen. Chiltons says 17 ft lbs. but I have found ratings as high as 35 ft lbs on some websites. The engine is all stock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chiltons and "some websites" didn't put together your engine. Go to the guys who did. You can download a FACTORY manual right here. The year doesn't matter that much for engine assembly, the 72 manual is good enough:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

According to the 72 manual, the torque on those is 200 in. lbs which is about 16.7 ft lbs

2j0zfpl.jpg

18 ft lbs is all you need. Some aftermarket manuals list that spec as 25 ft lbs and that's way too much for factory grade bolts.

don't use a big Torque wrench on it that starts at 10 lbs, use a inch wrench or just snug it down good by hand

Thank you to everybody who responded. I am going to borrow an inch-lbs torque wrench tomorrow and do it right.

-
Back