Torqueflite 904 rear seal

-
Reaction score
I let a newly installed rear seal sit without driving for a couple of months. Leaked like a siv in my garage. Drove her a bit today , no more leak. Normal? Is break in needed or should she have been fluid tight from the beginning? Torqueflite 904 on a 65 valiant. Any input appreciated! Lost about half a quart is what it looked like. Thx

Possible torque converter drain back (from sitting) raised the fluid level enough to leak out passed the seal. Once the trans was out of park with the engine running, the converter refilled and the level in the pan went back to a level that did not leak.
PS: just an FYI. The 1965 cable shifted 904 had a different seal than the 60-64 trans.

The seal came from a company called fatsco. Their website was pretty specific and offered insight in line with what you’re saying regarding how 65 was a unique year. I switched from the ball and trunion to a universal joint driveshaft , and thought I’d be thorough and change the seal while it was apart. It had a small leak. Then boom. A big puddle. What are your thoughts on that seal needing to be broken in some? No puddle yet. Just scared of reoccurrence. Thx for your reply!

Fatsco knows what they are doing. I delt with them for many years. Seals do not need to be broken in. That said, when installing the seal they should always have the "lip" lubricated with the same fluid that will be sealing. Otherwise the seal can "burn" up from a dry start.
PS: When I lived in NJ, I was only about 10 miles from Fatsco.

Charlie thanks for the insight. I didn’t prime the rear seal, but it sounds like the draining torque converter saved me from a dry start. I’m very grateful!

-
Back