Torqueflite transmission odd smell when driving.

-
68 dart slant six. odd smell coming from transmission when driving. Anyone else ever had this problem?

What does the fluid look like?
Under what conditions do you smell this, and can you relate it to anything you have smelled before?

You need to describe the smell...

It somewhat smells like exhaust that is slightly burning oil. The fluid looks and smells normal (no burnt smell or dark color. I may have found the problem. I noticed transmission fluid coming from the dust cover at the bell housing and after blowing air into cooler lines, fluid began to come out of the open lines. Is It possible that the cooling lines were partially clogged and restricting flow, causing fluid to come out of the vent hole at the bell housing?

Causing fluid to leak onto exhaust? I can only smell it when driving. Zero Smell when Idling. Gonna reconnect the cooler lines today and see if that fixed the problem. I'll give an update later.

So you suspect the cooler was restricted?
Only a few options if its coming out of inspection cover
Vent as you suspect
Seal which happens
Cracked torque convertor.

Yes, I think that the cooler was restricted. The car had not been ran in a couple of years. I’ll give an update later. Thanks for the other suggestions. If clearing up the cooler doesn’t fix it, I’ll check the seal next.

-
Back