Torsion bar adjustment

-

whtmontie

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where to find the adjustment for the torsion bars on a 75 dodge dart. I am used to Gm truck torsion bars and i think they are different than the mopar ones? Is the adjustment on the lower control arm? Any help would be great thanks.

exactly - lower control arm - ya can't miss it

tbar.jpe

Can anyone tell me where to find the adjustment for the torsion bars on a 75 dodge dart. I am used to Gm truck torsion bars and i think they are different than the mopar ones? Is the adjustment on the lower control arm? Any help would be great thanks.

Yes, it's a 3/4" hex and the bolt is on the lower control arm on the bottom halfway between the pivot and ball joint...

And your using this adjustment to set the ride height, right? Because that's the only thing this adjustment is to be used for correctly. If you don't know what I'm talking about, this is an alignment adjustment to set the differential heights of the LCA pivot point and the lower ball joint so they are at factory specs for alignment.

And your using this adjustment to set the ride height, right? Because that's the only thing this adjustment is to be used for correctly. If you don't know what I'm talking about, this is an alignment adjustment to set the differential heights of the LCA pivot point and the lower ball joint so they are at factory specs for alignment.
Yes The fender was rubbing the tire slightly so i just want to give it a turn or two to clear the fender.
Thanks to everyone for the quick reply

Penetrating Oil!
Stay back, use a breaker bar,
and you'll probably need more than a few turns.
Earlier models had fine threads, and twice I have had the block in the lower control arm lose all its threads and spit the bolt out with great force, once WHILE I was making an adjustment and the car slammed down on that side,
Fortunately I was way back and not injured, but it was very scary.
I changed the block and bolt to a coarse thread, but these are harder to turn adjusting, because the mechanical advantage is less.
It will be easier to raise the height if you take weight off the wheel and just work against the torsion bar loading.
It will also be safer, but I believe you probably already have the coarse thread bolt/block.

Yes The fender was rubbing the tire slightly so i just want to give it a turn or two to clear the fender.
Thanks to everyone for the quick reply

It sounds like your ride height is completely out of spec if the tire is rubbing. This assumes that you are using correct wheels and tires for your model. I urge you to read the section in the FSM on setting the ride height. If you don,t have a FSM, get one free here: Free service manuals

Either you have the wrong wheels and tires on the car, or something is bent/ broke. In other words, height adjustment is not going to "fix" this properly

To put this another way, the front suspension should be able to go through the limits of top/ bottom travel, and wheels in/ out steering, without hitting the fenders.

Another note, the car will not sit at the "new" level completely until rolled a few inches back and forth.
Just my experience, for what it's worth.

-
Back