Torsion Bar Issue

-

R72Demon

Reaction score
I just put my front suspension back in my '72 Demon. And the RH torsion bar has a lot of arch (going upward) to it, the LH side doesnt have nearly as much. They are installed correctly on the right sides. Keep in mind the car doesnt have an engine or trans. in it yet. Any thoughts?

Were they straight when you took them out? Or...were they removed at all?

Sounds like someone used them to jack up the car.

While yo uare at it mic the diameter of both bars, left and right should be the same, and larger than 0.860 inch slant six bar.

I’m with others; replace old torsion bars with new parts. I would consider replacing rear springs as well with new units to restore balance between front and rear axle for better handling dynamics. It is a few more bucks, but the end result isa safer better handling & riding car.

Look herefor what different diameter bars have for approximate spring rates:

http://www.firmfeel.com/torsionb_a.htm

As they fatigue, they develop a bow. It will bow even more when loaded. They will eventually snap too. Sorry

I just put my front suspension back in my '72 Demon. And the RH torsion bar has a lot of arch (going upward) to it, the LH side doesnt have nearly as much. They are installed correctly on the right sides. Keep in mind the car doesnt have an engine or trans. in it yet. Any thoughts?

There should be no arch in the bar. Check for cracks or reddish brown areas (like rust leeching through paint) in the arch. If any are visible, the bar is no good.

There are two possible scenarios IMHO:

1. The bar is bent. Check the rear cross member to see if both bars are set into the sockets at the same depth. You may want to pull the retainers and give each a few love taps with a mallet and a large wooden dowel (A broom handle works.) to insure they are fully seated in the lower control arm. If one bar is bent, it will be shorter. NOTE: This method is not foolproof. Ma Mopar wasn't known for being super-precise on the "true-ness" of the chassis.
  2. The RH lower control arm is not properly installed. There is a small lip on the LCA shaft that goes into the front cross member. If this doesn't happen, the LCA sits more towards the rear of the car than intended. Normally, the tell here is that the retainer ring on the rear torsion bar won't fit. If the bar has been forced to make room, it could be bent.

-
Back