Torsion bar knowledge

-

JCHTOOLS

Reaction score
Ok guys, so heres the deal, i am a newbie to the wonderful world of chrysler. ( i was a gm guy in a prior life) i am learning a lot very quickly about a-bodys, but would like some expert advice. I recently purchased a cherry 75 gold duster that belonged to an grandmother. She bought it new in 75. It has 93,000 miles. I need to replace the torsion bars as they are worn plum out. I have looked around online and classic industrie offers 3 diffrent sizes. ( i think .081, .090, and 1.013 or so)
this will be a daily driver car that i might take out once in a while to the local 1/8 mile track. What size bar should i get to retain a stock ride height and a firm ride?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard for the track you're going to want a smaller bar. If you want to handle well on the street I have the 1" bars from Just suspension on my car. They were $199 and I like them. They are stiff but not too harsh for me anyway. They are all adjustable so you should be able to get the stock height no matter what you go with.

How did you determine the torsion bars are worn out ?

The drivers side is adjusted all the way up and it is still not enough. The keeper is only about 1/4" from the frame and it hits each time i hit a bump. The passenger side dose still have plenty of adjustment left, but so far i have only seen them sold in pairs.

The drivers side is adjusted all the way up and it is still not enough. The keeper is only about 1/4" from the frame and it hits each time i hit a bump. The passenger side dose still have plenty of adjustment left, but so far i have only seen them sold in pairs.

I would suspect OTHER components FIRST. Like damaged sockets where the torsion bar seats (like a wrench), cracks or breaks in the lower control arm, or probably most suspect, worn out lower bushings/ pivots.

In other words, go over the whole front end piece by piece with a fine - tooth "eye."

You have a shop manual? You can download one or more free from this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

-
Back