Torsion bars don't seem to adjust

-
he may have not clocked the torsion bar hex anchor properly or put the torsion bars back in the wrong sides....hard to tell without getting the numbers off the ends...hopefully he put the numbers to the rear where you can see them and hopefully they are in the wrong side. not to bad to change em around since they have been out already.either way ya gotta look at the part that the adjuster bolt fits into and see if it is aimed way upwards while the car is sitting on the ground and if it is then it may be a simple fix
So tighten the bolts the car goes higher. If that's so I know right now that they're haywire because last year I had the car off of the ground and adjusted and tested adjusted and test till the bolts were tightened all the way and no change in height.

Odd number on drivers side this thread made me go out and doublecheck that and sense i was out there heres a few pic's the numbered end goes to the rear and the end that has an L or an R goes to the front
Is it true that the torsion bar numbered with even is drivers side? I removed mine and forgot to label.

Attachments

• torsionbars 009.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 224
  • torsionbars 013.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 216
  • torsionbars 014.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 230
  • torsionbars 015.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 218
Odd number on drivers side this thread made me go out and doublecheck that and sense i was out there heres a few pic's the numbered end goes to the rear and the end that has an L or an R goes to the front

The L & R will be found at the rear often too. The only rule is mark before removing so they go back in the same way.

Very cool thanks waggin.

If this guy welded the mounts back in after putting the new mount cap on without dropping the bolts and clocking the adjusting anchors around will the bars even line up anymore if I take them out and try to put them in right? Am I making sense. lol

Stand on the lca, and have a bud slide them into socket. not much standing, you may have to let it raise up.Crank up on the bolt 4 turns. With the lca pivot loose, let it down, stand on bumper; jounce, then set, then align.

Yes, we just did a 69 Charger, that was the trick. We tagged before cleaning, never found a mark on them. Loosen the lower control arm (lca) pivot. And we found that to be worn out.

Ok. Well I don't think I'll be doing this but I'm understanding now how to do it. I think it would be smart to print all of this out and take it over to my friend and explain what went on with the mount fix. He has a hoist and everything and it's probably best if we do it together.

In regard to parts placement; as a general rule, odd numbered parts go on the left side (drivers side) and even numbered parts on the right side (passenger side).

you guys must have a horde of people that just show up to help you when you need it.........That is not the case with me. I been doin this for decades without regular help. ya might as well learn how to do it without help from the get go cause there ain't alway's gonna be help there for ya. Period!!!! loosen the lower control arm pivot....give it a smack towards the rear of the car and the thing will fall to the lowest point...from there ya just pull the torsion bar and spin the lca lever to the lowest point and slide th torsion bar back into place....check to make sure you have the right torsion bar on the right side and aimed the right way and grease it and stick that puppie where it belongs and all should be just fine...once it is all done and the ride height has been set.....tighten the lower control arm pivot and you are done.....why does this sound so complicated? where is 1wildandcrazyguy to make this all seem so easy?

Only other thing I would add to all the great advice is do NOT use air to adjust the torsion bar bolts. The violent pounding from the impact can ruin the fine threads in short order. Do it by hand. It is also easier to keep track of how many turns you adjust if you do it by hand as well. Also, when you lower it after adjustment, make sure to jounce and rebound the suspension several times after each adjustment so the suspension can settle out and you can get an accurate measurement of where it sits.

I'll give r a go. Also I'd like to thank everybody for taking the time on this and all of the great advice.

you guys must have a horde of people that just show up to help you when you need it.........That is not the case with me. I been doin this for decades without regular help. ya might as well learn how to do it without help from the get go cause there ain't alway's gonna be help there for ya. Period!!!! loosen the lower control arm pivot....give it a smack towards the rear of the car and the thing will fall to the lowest point...from there ya just pull the torsion bar and spin the lca lever to the lowest point and slide th torsion bar back into place....check to make sure you have the right torsion bar on the right side and aimed the right way and grease it and stick that puppie where it belongs and all should be just fine...once it is all done and the ride height has been set.....tighten the lower control arm pivot and you are done.....why does this sound so complicated? where is 1wildandcrazyguy to make this all seem so easy?
Lol, that was what I was trying to say.

Oh and one more thing I didn't see said....lube the torsion bar adjusters real good. I like to slob permatex anti seize all over um. That stuff is dang near permanent.

Don't laugh but I bought one of those torsion bar removal tool clamp things. I'll do it when it get's here.

Don't laugh but I bought one of those torsion bar removal tool clamp things. I'll do it when it get's here.

anyone who would laugh hasn't spent enough time wrenching their MOPAR.
i don't have the right tool, so i usually bolt a couple pieces of scrap wood together around the bar to beat em' out :laughing:

did you ever get these in correctly?

I just unbolt the lower control arm and smack em with a rubber mallet...done deal no scratches on the torsion bar yay!!!

-
Back