Torsion bars - how to prep for paint

-

Cuda68Scott

Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding my front suspension and plan to use my original torsion bars. I want to clean them up a little and paint them. I understood you are to be careful with torsion bars to not nick them etc. to keep their integrity but can I sand them lightly before painting?

I am in the process of rebuilding my front suspension and plan to use my original torsion bars. I want to clean them up a little and paint them. I understood you are to be careful with torsion bars to not nick them etc. to keep their integrity but can I sand them lightly before painting?
I don't think light sanding will be a problem. I had one break on me once, but it was a pretty special situation: the header collector flange had worn a pretty significant notch in the t-bar, maybe a 1/16" deep and 1/4" long. My friend was going to tow my car for me to Spokane to do some bracket racing. He tied the frame down on his trailer pretty snugly, then decided to add air to the car''s tires. He towed it almost all the way there, and when he hit a big huge pot hole with the trailer, the jolt broke the t-bar.

I'd have them media blasted. Although light sanding won't hurt. Go lengthwise down the bar with the sand paper so the micro scratches run long ways. Also, use something fine like a 220 grit or finer.

I did mine and painted them too. Never again. When the engine comes out for this new motor, they are going to the powder coater for sure.

Best,

-
Back