torsion bars

-

DdgeDartboi

the beast
Reaction score
ok well i finally got the engine in the dart i have a 71 dart swinger it was an original /6 car now gone 318 and when we actually put the front wheels on the ground it sits kinda low.... i like the look of it but dad thinks we need to put stronger torsion bars under there... is this a necessity or will the /6 bars work just tightened up a bit... and if by chance i have to change the torsion bars will there be anything else under that car that i have to change along with those...

You can crank up the ride height but you will find that the suspension will still bottom out a lot. Torsion bars are not expensive, approx $130 for a set.

I did the v8 swap in steps over a couple of years. When I rebuilt the suspension and swapped in disk brakes I also put in big block torsion bars while the \6 was still in there. They were not stiff riding at all. I know have the 360 in there with the big block bars and I am quite happy with the ride.

dgc333 said:
You can crank up the ride height but you will find that the suspension will still bottom out a lot. Torsion bars are not expensive, approx $130 for a set.

I did the v8 swap in steps over a couple of years. When I rebuilt the suspension and swapped in disk brakes I also put in big block torsion bars while the \6 was still in there. They were not stiff riding at all. I know have the 360 in there with the big block bars and I am quite happy with the ride.

there are different dimensions for the torsion bars, .87 are for slant six cars and .89 are for sb v8's and anything bigger would be bb.. as far as i was advised, you will need to find out what size you want to run, its not just as easy as saying bb or sb bars.. but then again if you call and get a person who knows what they are talking about it could e a little dfferent.

Cerwin

If it were me I would crank them up. I have used /6 bars in my car an the work good. I dont see you having any trouble using them.

.87 are small block handling bars.
.89 are big block bars.

Suspension is more than just the torsion bars. For a street car you really need a sway bar and better shocks.

Did you do anything to the brakes while you were in there? There's a lot more to an engine swap than just the engine.

well it came with the hayes front disc setup so i rebuilt the caliers and i am gonna be getting the rotors turned cause they seem to be pretty good.... i am replacing the tie rod ends inner and outer , the idler arm and the pitman arm.... i will soon after that be replacing my ball joints and getting the entire bushing set for the front and rear...... but i am doing it little bits at a time cause i still need the bigger things like a windshield and some carpet and i am rebuilding my 8.75 rear end and it is all coming with time the biggest thing was if i crank my torsion bars up right now with my new monroe shocks up front will it be allright without bottoming out and smashing my headers.... i have a set of hooker comp. headers and right now the way it is sitting i have about 4 inches of clearance with the headers and i need a little more than that cause my neighborhood is full of speed bumps.... but yeah we are gonna try to crank up the bars for now i will be replacing them at some point in time im sure..... thanks for the replies and i will be getting some pictures of it on the road as soon as i can so you guys can see all my hard work lol.... thanks again

Toby

-
Back