torsion mount repair caps???

-

Jims83cj5

Reaction score
I just took over a project car from my brother in law. Its a 71 duster with a 383 mag jammed in it ( was a 6 cyl.). It needs the new torsion bars but there is lots of rust under there so im gunna fix the torsion mounts so the mounts cab take the extra force. So, has anyone ever tryed the repair caps from year one???? or am i getting into something bad???

Jims83cj5 said:
I just took over a project car from my brother in law. Its a 71 duster with a 383 mag jammed in it ( was a 6 cyl.). It needs the new torsion bars but there is lots of rust under there so im gunna fix the torsion mounts so the mounts cab take the extra force. So, has anyone ever tryed the repair caps from year one???? or am i getting into something bad???

I have seen this places stuff, and was impressed. :thumblef:

http://autorust.com/

http://autorust.com/catalog.html

Torsion Mount
1966-74 A-Body
You know you need this kit if the torsion bar socket twisted out and car is leaning down in the front. The damaged area is under your feet. The area that rots out is torsion bar crossmember. A-bodies always had a problem there because they rust from the inside out, weakening it and allowing the bar to twist. The kit has evolved over the last 15 years into being one of the easiest to install frame repair kits we make. It's a contoured U-shaped part that slides over the damaged area. You remove the old socket, clean it off, reinstall in our kit per our detailed instructions. It was our first safe-T-cap kit. This part is made from 11-gauge steel.

I used one from AutoRust. Kind of crudely made but definately beefy and did the job.

I did buy the caps from year one,,, and they where garbage,, I have never seen worse welding. I had to cut them completely apart and re-weld them back together. The only thing that was good about them was the proper torsion bar hole location. I would'nt buy any more welded parts from them again and I made my own frame caps to save the trouble of fixing theirs :wack:

-
Back