Total timing question

-

dartkory

Reaction score
My total timing used to be at 42 degrees when I had my initial set at 16. So a few months ago I put in a plate that makes my total set at 32 with my initial at 16. But as I read numerous posts it sounds like most guys seem to think if you can get away with that much advance without pinging then the better off you are. Is this correct? The only reason I ask is because my car seems to blow a little more black smoke than it did before I used that plate. I'm running an eddy 600 that I've set 2 stages leaner in the secondaries and it has great power. I've tried going leaner but then it dogs it. Thanks for any help! -kory

We need to clear up some definitions:

1--What do YOU mean when you say "total" timing? With or without vacuum advance?

42 degrees just might be a hell of a lot for "total" meaning initial + mechanical, throttle wide open, no vacuum advance.

But if you mean 42 at high speed cruise, IE initial + mechanical + vacuum, 42 "ain't all that much"

And what do you mean by.......................

get away with that much advance without pinging

You talking about JUST quite a bit of initial, "total" meaning initial + mechanical, 'er what?

I have vacuum advance. And the only way I've checked it is with my digital timing light. Since I use my vacuum advance I leave it connected when checking my total which comes all in around oh I wanna say about 1500 because I put in the lighter springs in my distributor. And just to be specific I hook up my timing light, take the rpm while in park up to a couple grand and adjust the light until the mark on my balancer is at 0. And yes total meaning initial+mechanical

I have vacuum advance.................... I leave it connected when checking my total .............. And yes total meaning initial+mechanical

Well now you've contradicted yourself................

The thing is..............

1---and only ONE and FIRST and in my book MANDATORY is to first check for absolute certain whether TDC is actually correct. Probably the most accurate and easiest way to do this on an assembled engine is with a piston stop

2---I personally do NOT trust "dial up" timing lights unless I have proved they are accurate. In today's world with Craigslist, garage sales, etc, there is no reason NOT to have a cheap used working "non" dial up light for testing. I much prefer to degree the balancer instead. You do not need to spend a lot of time on this. Once you have your TDC checked as accurate, you can mark the important points on the balancer as needed, 5, 10, 15, 20, 35* 40, 50, 55 is a great plenty. You can easily do this by simply accurately measuring around the balancer with a small tape, and calculate degrees vs circumference.

2---Determine WHAT the mechanical and vacuum curve are that's in the distributor, SEPARATELY from each other. In other words, unhook the vacuum advance until you have charted the amount and rate of the mechanical and then check the vacuum at an RPM which you know won't affect mechanical readings.

3--In rough figures, you probably want somewhere around 34--38 total initial + mechanical, with as much as 50-55 including vacuum at "light throttle" high speed cruise.

At the same time you want plenty of initial. "Crack" seems to like more than me, but what I've run lately is not that "lumpy." My 318 seems fine with about 17 initial.

4---If you think the mechanical is wrong, you need to find out "what the engine likes." You need to establish initial, do so by timing for max RPM or vacuum at idle, going back/ forth and adjusting idle speed, idle mixture and timing, then double check that starter does not kick back when engine is fully warmed.

Once this is done, you need to find out what the engine wants for wide open throttle mechanical only. NO vacuum. This is your 34--38 range. Nowadays, with such "hacks" as headphone knock sensors, wideband O2, etc, you can do this easier, but there is no substitute for a dyno. No, I can't afford 'em, either.

So assuming you have these two extreme points in play, the next thing is to attack the distributor mechanicals so that the advance gives you that range.

5---Springs are last, which control the rate of advance but the wilder the engine, the more advance it can handle quicker. "Back then" I used to run a dual point dist. with NO springs. The points caused enough drag to pull back the advance to start, and right after starting it was pretty much "all in." This too is a matter of trial and error, and there is no easy way without a nice expensive dyno. Pinging at part throttle is a clue. Without a dyno, you are just guessing. One of the G-tech meters or other onboard accelerometer might be of help.

So I was mistaken. I took the plate out and my total is at 58!! But it does run a lot better however my buddy while driving behind me said the smoke seemed a little worse than before. Not really sure what to do or think! 58 seems like it is just way to much! What do you think?

This is JUST a thought,,Do they do the winter/summer blend of gasoline in Oregon ?
My old 88 318 truck with a carb,blows black like a diesel with winter blend here in Nevada. They just switched to summer blend,smoke gone.Even the wifes PT has a cleaner tailpipe. Again just a thought.

-
Back