TR6060 Rebuild

-

DA4AD

Reaction score
I bought a used TR6060 trans for my A body.
It apparently only has 4000 KMS on it, i do not know the history of it so I'll believe that when I take it apart.
My question is,
I want to go through this transmission before I install it. What are the things should upgrade?
Anybody have a link or a PDF manual for these things?
:burnout:

I wouldn't touch it. Those transmissions are tough and unless you have some special tools and know exactly what is needed to set them up correctly you can trash them.

It should require a special tool to remove the 5th/6th driven gear. I'm going to tell you from experience removing mine from the t56 in my 04 GTO, buy the dam tool to remove it and do it correctly! Chip the gear and it's an expensive fubared paperweight.
Some places have a do it all at once "kit" that has all the normal wear items. Be sure you know what it came out of as depending on what vehicle it can and most likely have specific parts to the application. (synchro clutches for instance)
Start here.
www.tickperformance.com

The t56 and the 6060 are very similar in design. I've gone through my t56 twice now. They're not too bad if you have any mechanical knowledge.
In fact, I can post a link to my photobucket of all the pics I took rebuilding mine.

I wouldn't touch it. Those transmissions are tough and unless you have some special tools and know exactly what is needed to set them up correctly you can trash them.

Drain the fluid through a coffe filter for starters. Look for magnetic metal. If there is a bunch then something may be wearing abnormally. You will get brass or fiber material, that is normal.

I'm sure they have shaft bearings with specs for play as well as countershaft end play IIRC. They're basically the same case but the syncros and gears do not interchange with a t56. Don't think the shift forks do either.

Miller tool kit #10017 is you friend. Your TR6060 has a one piece countershaft and bronze fork sliders. And it is out of a new Challenger,Camaro etc. you'll want swap the mainshaft and tail housing with Viper parts to use a slipyoke.

They are full bearing transmissions, utilizing (if simular to a t56) tapered roller bearing so there will be clearances to measure. I guess I don't think of it when it comes to this stuff since I have micrometers and everything I need to service dam near anything I own so the comment about specialized tools is true to an extent. The 6060 I don't think share any internal gear parts with the t56 as the sychro clutches are different. Not sure about the shift forks.
I'm sure they have shaft bearings with specs for play as well as countershaft end play IIRC. They're basically the same case but the syncros and gears do not interchange with a t56. Don't think the shift forks do either.

Should be magnets in the back section of the case so this won't always work.
I shredded a syncro blocker ring (steel) and NONE of it came out in the oil!

Drain the fluid through a coffe filter for starters. Look for magnetic metal. If there is a bunch then something may be wearing abnormally. You will get brass or fiber material, that is normal.

With the low miles I would run it but im betting its gonna need a mainshaft swap anyway.

With the low miles I would run it but im betting its gonna need a mainshaft swap anyway.

The seller told me it had 4000 KMS, he could say any milage. It came from a local reputable trans shop, i actually bought my rebuilt 833 from him when i got rid of the 3 spd overdrive.
I asked where it came from and he said a customer sold it to him but doesn't know why he thinks he converted to automatic.
It spins freely and shifts smooth but I want to have a peak inside before I install it. if it needs parts NOW is the time to do it.
As for changing the shaft/housing I'm still working on that. The original owner was supposed to drop off the drive shaft.
:burnout:

-
Back