trading for a dakota, opinions?

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
I have a 93 toyota truck single cab 4WD and I am trading for a 97 dakota extended cab 4WD with 160,000 miles, it seems nice got a 318 what I wanna know is...does anyone know of major problems I really like the truck and want a dodge, for obvious reasons.

It seems fair. 318s are dime a dozen if something goes wrong with the one in the truck. I say go for it.

Check if the ball joints have been done. I don't think the 4wd's were as bad as the 2wd, but I'm on my third set with a little over 80000 miles on the truck ( it's a 97 2wd 318 ). Other than that, I think they are very solid truck.

Check if the ball joints have been done. I don't think the 4wd's were as bad as the 2wd, but I'm on my third set with a little over 80000 miles on the truck ( it's a 97 2wd 318 ). Other than that, I think they are very solid truck.
What ^^ said. Also check the upper control arm bushings. They wear out really quick on those things. Also check the transmission fluid, make sure its not cooked. Same with the rear diff.

How is transmission? Most i knew would start slipping between shifts around 80k or so

Troy

I have a 93 toyota truck single cab 4WD and I am trading for a 97 dakota extended cab 4WD with 160,000 miles, it seems nice got a 318 what I wanna know is...does anyone know of major problems I really like the truck and want a dodge, for obvious reasons.
That's a damn good trade!

You don't say how many miles are on the Toyota or if there are any problems with it. I've had both myself and all things being equal, I find the Toyota to be the better truck in most areas. A lot will depend on how bad you need the bigger cab and the V8 power.

I have a 99 Dakota 4x4 extended cab with 180,000 miles. Problems have been limited to a speed sensor on the rear axle, a speed sensor on the tranny and a pressure sensor in the tranny. None of these disabled the truck and were simple to replace.

I had one upper ball joint wear out around 160,000 miles and again a easy fix, they are riveted to the control arm and takes no more than 30 mins. to swap. The replacements from Moog can be greased, the stickers can't. The lower ball joint is completely different than the top, pressed into a forged control arm and are greasable.

I drive on the beach a lot and have ruined the seals on the front wheel bearings resulting in them needing replacement. Again a easy replacement, the outer race has a flange and bolts to the steering knuckle.

Overall a trouble free truck, I also had an 89 Dakota 4x4 that I put 256,000 and sold when I got the 99. It was trouble free too.

My '88 Dakota has 190,000 miles on it and it lead a hard life before I bought it. It runs like a swiss watch!

You don't say how many miles are on the Toyota or if there are any problems with it. I've had both myself and all things being equal, I find the Toyota to be the better truck in most areas. A lot will depend on how bad you need the bigger cab and the V8 power.

wtf ever

well guys, I got the dakota, it has a shift kit on it and the tranny jerks a little but its very awesome flowmasters tinted windows its got a 160,000 miles on it and the trucks spedo didnt work had a crack in the windshield and the clear was peeling off, the only problem with the dakota is the low beams don't work and has a few dents. and its white my least favorite car color but I can deal with it. I'll put up some pic's in a couple days if I get a chance

-
Back