Tranny cross member

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
hey when i pulled the /6 with trans out of the dart which was a while ago, all i remember doing is dropping the trans cross member, i have no memory of there being any bolts holding the trans to that cross member. so now new engine with 904 is in, trans cross member is back, but someone mentioned "dont forget to bolt in the tranny" .. am i missing bolts? or is the cross member the only thing that really holds it in place? as in it just rests on the cross member?

There should be one stud that comes from the rubber isolator through the bottom of the cross member. If it's missing from your mount then there is nothing to keep the tranny from moving side to side.

Time to get a new mount for the tranny.

Well there is a nut that goes on the stud to hold it to the cross member.

haha this may sound stupid, but, to hold the stud to the cross member? or to hold the tranny down to the cross member on the stud?

However you want to describe it, the rubber isolator is bolted to the tranny via two bolts on a bracket that is part of the isolator. The stud is part of the rubber isolator and goes through the cross member to attach that side of the isolator to the cross member. So, the cross member is attached to the tranny via the rubber isolator which allows for some flex and absorbs vibration.

-
Back