Tranny crossmember question

-

hemidart1

Reaction score
Are there two different tranny crossmembers for the early A's? I bought one and then picked up a tranny mount but the mount doesn't fit in the crossmember(my mechaninc says it's too tall with that 727).
Does anyone here have a 727 in their early A and what do you use for a crossmember/mount?

thanks
Al.

There is only one early A crossmember, I have a 727 in my car and I am using the stock 3 speed manual crossmember.

Chuck

If I remember right I did have to trim a little off the flange on the front of the crossmember because it hit the speedo gear part of the tail housing.

Chuck

I know you havew to trim the mount when using the later 833 OD because of the speedo portion of the assembly

2 things.

If you bought the Imperial Services/Shumacer mount they are a tight fit into the support and I have had to use a jack to squeeze them in on 2 occasions.

The 727 is a bit larger then the 904. Is the trany tailshaft up on the rubber pad located in the trans. tunnel. If so how much difference is there to make up? If is over an inch its fabrication time.

Are there two different tranny crossmembers for the early A's? I bought one and then picked up a tranny mount but the mount doesn't fit in the crossmember(my mechaninc says it's too tall with that 727).
Does anyone here have a 727 in their early A and what do you use for a crossmember/mount?

thanks
Al.

What year is your car, and what year engine tranny combo are you trying to shove into it??

check bigblock dart for hints too....

http://bigblockdart.com/

I'm pretty sure that there are 2 types of mounts, one crossmember. One mount for 66 & later & one for 65 & earlier. Don't know exactly what the difference is but I think it has to do with the number of studs(?). Might also have to do with the difference in the speedo cable setup (clearance, as mentioned above?) as I think that changed in 66 too.

I'm pretty sure that there are 2 types of mounts, one crossmember. One mount for 66 & later & one for 65 & earlier. Don't know exactly what the difference is but I think it has to do with the number of studs(?). Might also have to do with the difference in the speedo cable setup (clearance, as mentioned above?) as I think that changed in 66 too.

63-65 mounts have two studs and 66 and up one.

IS-103.gif

1966-1971 A-Body (also some '72)

Automatic and Manual Transmission Mount

Replaces P/N 2533 145. All new steel brackets with polyurethane insulator. Top bracket zinc-dichromate plated for corrosion resistance. One mounting stud like the originals. Includes serrated locking nut.

IS-103 - $79 + shipping

http://www.imperialservices.net/Imperial Services - '60-'72 A-Body Parts.htm

anyone have a part number for the right mount?

-
Back