trans/converter question

-

1970-dart

Reaction score
so I am contemplating a trans freshening with shift kit and converter for my car, I have a pretty much stock 904 behind a slightly warm 360. My buddy put a new TCI tranny in the car and has a 904 that came out of his 71 road runner but it has a 426 in it.

He says that the bell housing is the same size as my 360 and the converter should work also. Now while I find that very far fetched and hard to believe i just had to ask what others thought because i can get the converter for free if it fits.

Thanks in advance

There's no such thing as a big block 904. This means one of three things.....

1....He has an RB 426 and is using an adapter of some sort to mount the 904

2...He has a SMALL block stroked and bored to about 426

3...He is mistaken about what transmission he has.

There's no such thing as a big block 904. This means one of three things.....

1....He has an RB 426 and is using an adapter of some sort to mount the 904, or what is commonly known as a "super bell." This is where you machine the bell off the trans and adapt it to mount to some sort of aftermarket bell / scattershield

2...He has a SMALL block stroked and bored to about 426

3...He is mistaken about what transmission he has.

thanks. it defiantly does not have any kind of adapter so i bet he is mistaken about what trans it actually has. ill get some info and pictures of how to identify big block trans and compare to what he has.

thanks. it defiantly does not have any kind of adapter so i bet he is mistaken about what trans it actually has. ill get some info and pictures of how to identify big block trans and compare to what he has.
Big block bell doesn't have the indent in the bell right under the starter.
It's pretty much totally round.

image_10.jpg

Another way to tell a big block from a small block trans is by counting the number of 1/4" bolts at the bottom of the bellhousing that hold the access cover on. A BB trans. has four 1/4" bolts and a small block only has two 1/4" bolts.

A 727 with TC,weighs about 9000 pounds, when you try to pick it up off the floor, and only a little less when you put it back down.
In comparison, a 904 with TC might only be about half that.
When I was younger, they seemed a lot lighter, and almost the same weight.

-
Back