Trans. cooler question

-

Darwin

Evolutionary Member
Reaction score
I'm installing an external cooler to my automatic transmission, which cooler line runs to the cooler, and which line returns to trans. I believe if I run the hot fluid to the top of the cooler and let gravity do its thing, it will be much easier on the trans.
Thanks, Bob

The front line is the one from the pump. I left that alone on mine going into the tank. I used the one coming out of the tank into the cooler then from the cooler to the return line.

Gravity doesn't matter. Since the outlet (front) and return (rear) of the transmission are at the same height, there is no pressure change from the up and down. That is why a siphon hose works.

It doesn't matter which way you flow thru the cooler, at least for the ones I have seen. Actually, there is a slight theoretical advantage in going it at the top and returning at the bottom, if your cooler has horizontal tubes. That is because the air is slightly warmer at the top. It is a heat transfer effect and has nothing to do with fluid pressure (or height). Lookup "cross-flow heat exchanger", but surely doesn't matter here.

A bigger question is whether you want to keep your radiator tranny cooler in series. That helps a little, but has the disadvantage of risking oil in the coolant or (worse) water in the tranny. I decided not to. If you do, probably best to run thru the radiator cooler first. As I read, there is no risk of over-cooling the tranny fluid unless you live above the Arctic Circle.

I'm pretty sure my trans cooler is also a Tru-Cool M7B or same part different reseller.

NS1RM21 (Troy) ran the cooler lines down the frame rails to get them away from the motor.

Attachments

• 3_26_11Sm32.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 3_21_11Sm5.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 168
Thanks guys for the input.
The radiator I put in has no trans cooler in it so no need to run in series.
I finished it up yesterday, heres how it turned out

Attachments

• Cuda Radiator 002.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Cuda Radiator 004.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Cuda Radiator 008.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Cuda Radiator 010.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 172
-
Back