Trans linkage problem

-

Tanman74

Reaction score
Been working on my Slant six to 340 swap for my 74 dart and I've hit a roadblock, the linkage arm that connects the shifter on the transmission to the column shift linkage is too long, also looks like the same column shift linkage is hitting the transmission and bending upwards, old trans was a 904 and what's in it now is a TCI 727. Debating whether I should pursue a different factory piece of linkage or just buy a B&M starshifter. Honestly I don't really want to keep using the column shift but I'd also rather not spend $300 on a shifter if I can get the correct linkage for cheaper.

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

This is not for a bodies but bacic same parts mostly different shapes and lengths.

Screenshot_20230607-134928.png

Here is A bodies but for 904 ( not sure if it is the same as 727)

Screenshot_20230607-135236.png

@Oldmanmopar might know the particulars and might even have the parts.

Last edited:
Also be sure you are attaching the gear selector to the correct lever on the trans.
Screenshot_20230607-140205.png

Screenshot_20230607-135506.png

Last edited:
Looking at you photo again.
View attachment 1716099603
The rod you are holding is backwards. The red circle goes into the trans selector.

The green z bar might be backwards left to right or upside down?

Also be sure you are attaching the gear selector to the correct lever on the trans.
View attachment 1716099619
I don't think the Z bar is messed up, though it could be, I haven't touched it since I disconnected the linkage from the 904. Also I do have the gear selector on the bottom lever, and I believe even if I flipped it around I think it would still be too long. Tried the 904 selector but it doesn't fit the lever on the trans.

Is the z bar attached to the column shifter in your photos

Last edited:
Is the z bar attached to the column shifter in your photos?

Regardless the shift rod is backwards, the square adjuster goes on the trans rod.
Z bar is attached to the column shifter, yes
Also thanks for telling me the shift rod is backwards.

Make sure that both the transmission and the shifter are in the same gear (P) it looks like the shifter is in (P) and the transmission is in (1).
Looks like the pin on the adjuster block is broken.

Alan

Last edited:
This is a C-Body console rod but the adjuster should be the same.
2022-12-21_006.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
All of the brackets are slightly different from the 904 to the 727, especially the bracket that goes to the bell housing for the z-bar. I can't find my pictures right now to post.

This is a 71, year shouldn't make a difference.
View attachment 1716099686

Alan
Thank you for the diagram, that helps!

All of the brackets are slightly different from the 904 to the 727, especially the bracket that goes to the bell housing for the z-bar. I can't find my pictures right now to post.
If it's just an issue of the 904 one being too long can I just cut it or is it an entirely different set of brackets?

Thank you for the diagram, that helps!

If it's just an issue of the 904 one being too long can I just cut it or is it an entirely different set of brackets?

The 727 bracket has a funny jog downward to compensate for the higher location of the mounting ear on the larger 727 bellhousing... Without the proper bracket, the z-bar will be cocked at a weird angle and will tend to bind...

Found a guy in NC with what looks like a winner, says it's 67-70 will that work or does it need to be a later one?

-
Back