Trans Mount Experts

-

blackdart66

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am trying to buy a new trans mount for my 66 dart. The old mount is in bad shape but I can read the part number. (I don't have it with me right now) Anyway, I can buy the new mount for like 12 bucks but it appears to be 3/4" taller than the mount I took off the car. I haven't been able to find any info out to see if there was an early or late version etc. The car was an original V8 car and it has 1 stud on it that goes through the crossmember..........So, was there two versions ? Is maybe mine just so shot it appears to be shorter ? I will try to post some pics pater......Thanks ! Al

All the '62-'72 A-bodies use almost the same trans mount, regardless of engine or transmission. I say "almost the same" because the mounts thru 1965 had two threaded studs protruding down thru the bottom of the crossmember, while the '66-up mounts had only one. Other than that, they're identical. You can use a single-stud mount on a '65 or earlier car with no problem, and I suppose if you really wanted to you could drill the second hole in a '66-'72 crossmember and use a double-stud mount in it. There's really no need of the second stud. This is a vertical-shear type mount; the replacements you're finding appear "too tall" because they're not sagged like your old mount. If you take a look at the rubber on your old mount, right close to the central steel plate set vertically into the rubber block, you can usually see the sag lines in the rubber.

Stock replacements are still easily found, or you can get good polyurethane ones from www.polybushings.com , among other sources. Putting in an unsagged transmission mount will do good things for engine and driveshaft alignment.

Hey all,

I am trying to buy a new trans mount for my 66 dart. The old mount is in bad shape but I can read the part number. (I don't have it with me right now) Anyway, I can buy the new mount for like 12 bucks but it appears to be 3/4" taller than the mount I took off the car. I haven't been able to find any info out to see if there was an early or late version etc. The car was an original V8 car and it has 1 stud on it that goes through the crossmember..........So, was there two versions ? Is maybe mine just so shot it appears to be shorter ? I will try to post some pics pater......Thanks ! Al

One word of caution. The poly mounts have no give and will most likey raise the rear a little higher

Thanks all !!! I'm just going to use the 12 buck one from car quest so I can get this thing mocked up.

-
Back