Trans seem crooked?

-

ChuckDock

Reaction score
This is a 67 cuda I bought not to long ago. Does the trans tail mount section seem to off center to you guys?

20180707_174449.jpg

20180707_174455.jpg

Offcenter...the motor and trans are all offcenter on mopar...about 1.5 inches to the passenger side....dont know if that helps.

The driveline will let you know if the trans is crooked. Vibration would certainly occur.

Looking at the last picture it is definitely off to the right, my trans is centered with the stud coming out of the crossmember. Ether the bolts fell out of the trans or the mount is ripped.

It looks off the right, but if you look at the exhaust there isn't much room for it to move left without hitting the exhaust.

Have you been driving it? Like @fishmens67 said, it should be vibrating.

It is offset from the transmission mount. As mentioned either missing bolts to the transmission or broke trans mount.

You may want to consider changing it to the later model spool type mount but you would need the correct cross member also my experience with the early style is they are prone to breaking

Looking at the last picture it is definitely off to the right, my trans is centered with the stud coming out of the crossmember. Ether the bolts fell out of the trans or the mount is ripped.
THIS------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well..Missed all these updates. I'll have to drop the trans mount and take a look.
I have driven the car but only around 10 miles. Nothing felt bad as far as vibrations go but I probably only went 50 mph max. I'm re-doing the front end for better driving right now. I just converted it from power steering to manual, and am replacing all the tie rod ends and sleeves with a 9/16 diameter flavor setup. Interior and dash are out too..sound proofing it, fixed electrical issues and adding a good stereo. Hope to have it back together shortly, just been battling a sciatic nerve issue..slowing me done, lol.
Thanks for the info, sure sounds like I need to investigate.

Shoot, It had another 10k miles I'd bet....
Trans still sits off center in the space. I can push it over, but takes a little force.
The motor mounts look new but the drivers side seems odd. Should that top hole be empty?

MM.jpg

trans mount.jpg

Shoot, It had another 10k miles I'd bet....
Trans still sits off center in the space. I can push it over, but takes a little force.
The motor mounts look new but the drivers side seems odd. Should that top hole be empty?

View attachment 1715196613

View attachment 1715196614
Looks like if I loosen both motor mounts, I'll be able to shift the trans in the right spot..
Once I get the new mount I'll know.

Well, still no luck. Got the new trans mount in but had to use force to make stuff line up in the center, so something has to be wrong. Seems like the only thing that would make the trans off center is if the engine motor mounts were wrong, or installed wrong I guess.
When I look on line at replacement motor mounts and the brackets, I see all sorts of different ones.
Do these seem right to you guys?

passenger side motor mount.jpg

drivers side mm.jpg

Maybe, try spacing the driver side forward or the passenger side back on the three bracket bolts. Watch that fan clearance if you do.

318's and 340/360 have different drivers side engine brackets. The biscuits are the same for both sides. In the picture below the drivers side mounts have the engine designation on them. The passenger side brackets are the same for all small block displacements. These are like the mounts on my '72 340. Seems like a "67 would be the same but I'm no expert. The 318 mounting ears are approx. 2 3/8" apart on both sides. The 340/360 ears are approx. 1 7/8" apart on the drivers side, thus the narrower bracket on that side. Too me your drivers side bracket looks incorrect (maybe for a B or E body) but I'm not sure........ The engines in A bodies are offset to one side but they are parallel to the frame rails so keep that in mind and also don't get the distributor too close to the firewall if you do some adjusting! Let us know what you find and how you make out.

318340difference.jpg

It also looks like you have truck insulators, the car ones are a bit thinner in appearance

Also to add to the above, I just had the mounts out of my 360 Dart, the upper two ears on the medal stand measure 2 23/32" Outside to outside. This is for the 340/360.

-
Back