Transaxle?

-

scampy72

Reaction score
Hey all just wondering if anybody has used a transaxle in their car to help even out weight. Figured it would also be nice for the independent suspension.

I was thinking of using one with my 440 build since it would make my scamp so front heavy and I want it to handle as good as possible.

Any thoughts?

Great idea!
Good luck

That's probably the biggest reason the small block is so popular in the As, as streeters especially; cuz we go around corners, a lot.
If you hang more weight out back,it seems like a good idea, but for a streeter, not so much. The tires are a limiting factor on the street, or rather the ever changing road surface is. To hang more weight out back with tires that already have their hands full,is, to my way of thinking,almost dangerous.
I have a 68 Barracuda fastback. It's a 108wb car and I think I have it up to 48% rear weight bias, or near to it. That puts a lot of strain on the cornering ability of the rear tires. She used to like stepping out, a lot. With 295s back there now, it is controllable. These tires fit into the factory wheel houses. I suppose I could put a bar on it, but Both I and the car have mellowed, and she hasn't spun out on me now for over 10 years. In fact with295s I can boil the hides in second gear and still run it around any corner that way.Second gear is good to 66 mph. 'Course I don't have the power or skilz to drift that. But I do ok.
Getting back to you and your 440-Scamp,unless you tub it and fit big meats back there,she may not be able to take advantage of a TA. And once the big meats go in there, she kindof losses her desire to corner, being more a point and shoot kindof girl. At least that is the feeling I got with 325/50-15s in my factory wheelhouses;which also fit,even lowered.OK, I admit it, I had to do a little bit of sheet metal adjusting with the BIG hammer.
The 325s also cornered oddly at slow speed, doing a little dance back there, that I found a little annoying. It was kindof the same as when I ran a spool. I didn't like it, and after about two weeks of that, I put the 295s back on, and saved the bad-boys for the track.
So as to the TA, sure great idea.But that won't be the end of it.

Last edited:
I just don'the know how to answer that.

have to reconstruct rear frame work of car to work with IRS rear axle,..not a transaxle like a VW or porsche thats for rear engine cars....think vette and i think later ford suv's,..but for what it would take to do it right,..not gonna be that much better than a good set up on what you already have...dwb

Hey all just wondering if anybody has used a transaxle in their car to help even out weight. Figured it would also be nice for the independent suspension.

I was thinking of using one with my 440 build since it would make my scamp so front heavy and I want it to handle as good as possible.

Any thoughts?
Better put Your engineer cap on for that one! Wrecked C5 'vette and up, and a custom shaft that can handle the potential torque. I would do a lot of research on 'vette stuff
to see who's racing them, & what they can handle, & what mods/upgrades are available. Of course it's a 'vette part so$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Frankly if You're worried about handling very much, a stroker SB w/all aluminum up top is the best fix.
Plus, unless you're retrofitting ABS/traction control, I'm not sure but assume that they have a limited slip option for the diff. portion. Torson (Eaton truetrac/Quaife/etc)style
maybe, honestly, I haven't really paid attn. to 'vettes in the last 15 yrs.

Yes they have led options in them. I was thinking vette or a Porsche 944 ta. Still have to do some looking on power and torque handling capabilities of each but as far as the vetres go there are guys using the stock ones for autocross with highly modified engines. But the Porsche one is slightly shorter and lighter and also not as much electronics to worry about.

Just relocate the battery to the trunk and put as many aluminum parts in that 440 as you can. I have one of those SA Design books "How to make your muscle car handle" in it the author explains that converting to IRS is for the most part a giant waste of time compared to building a trick rear suspension for the live axle we already have, such as a 4-link.

I think all that work just for a bit of weight distribution is not worth it but that's JMO I'll definitely watch if you try it :D

Just relocate the battery to the trunk and put as many aluminum parts in that 440 as you can. I have one of those SA Design books "How to make your muscle car handle" in it the author explains that converting to IRS is for the most part a giant waste of time compared to building a trick rear suspension for the live axle we already have, such as a 4-link.

I think all that work just for a bit of weight distribution is not worth it but that's JMO I'll definitely watch if you try it :D
exactly! look at the dirt late model 4 bar birdcage rear suspension with lift arm,..these cars power threw the turns lot harder and with more g force than any other full bodied rear wheel drive car i know of! and weight placement help more than any up grade to suspension!

Thanks for the input. Michael as far as I know so do the vettes

I run a 951 (944 turbo) transaxle connected via torque tube to a GM LS1 transplant with a Magnuson top mount supercharger. Its 600HP. But by far the transaxle is the weakest link. These eighties Porsches were not meant to have tons of torque driven through them. How do I do it? Well its lightweight. I don't launch it (but I do drag race it) and I don't speed shift it (but I do road race it) and I make sure that the tires will spin (too much grip will have the guts of the transaxle spill out onto the pavement).

Anyhow take it from me. There are plenty of ways to get a better balance on your Mopar. Porsche/Corvette parts may not be the best route.

tumblr_n23ae4QroA1snapklo1_1280.jpg

I only remember the 944 because it was Porsche's " Um, nevermind" answer to the dismal 924. And even then it wasn't a stormer. I can't recall what ultimate output was for
that series, but I doubt the torque output rivals what You'll be packin', if I were doing this I'd focus on a 'vette deal & get it over with.

-
Back