transmission dipstick tube removal

-

tacktom

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Dodge dart 318, a904 transmission and I need to replace the o ring in the dipstick filler tube. The bolt holding it in place is in a spot that I can't get to. No room between it and the firewall for a socket, too far down for a wrench. Help please. Thank you

Can you disconnect the trans crossmember with a jack underneath and lower it enough to get better access?

is the 904 filler tube on the same side (right) as a 727? I was able to get a ratcheting wrench down to it and on there - it is a slow painful process, but doable.

is the 904 filler tube on the same side (right) as a 727? I was able to get a ratcheting wrench down to it and on there - it is a slow painful process, but doable.
Yes, the tube is on the right side, the wrench will have to be pretty long to reach it. Do you recall the size wrench, 9/16- 5/8 or what? Thank you

Yes, the tube is on the right side, the wrench will have to be pretty long to reach it. Do you recall the size wrench, 9/16- 5/8 or what? Thank you
yea - it's a reach (aka: painful process) - I do not recall the size - go buy yourself a good set of 12 point ratcheting wrenches

If you ca'nt get the bolt out.Try cleaning around the rim of the dipstick where it goes into the trans with lacquer thinner then take a good rtv and
smear it around where you cleaned and let it dry all night.I took a q tip and a small mirror so i could see the back side of the stick when applying the sealant.If you do get the bolt out replace it with a shorter one.It is also hard to get the stick out and back in with out tilting the engine downward that's why i would try the sealant first you might get lucky

Last edited:
If you ca'nt get the bolt out.Try cleaning around the rim of the dipstick where it goes into the trans with lacquer thinner then take a good rtv and
smear it around where you cleaned and let it dry all night.I took a q tip and a small mirror so i could see the back side of the stick when appling the sealant.If you do get the bolt out replace it with a shorter one.It is also hard to get the stick out and back in with out tilting the engine dowm ward thats why i would try the sealant first you might get luckhy[/Q

Thank you. I think I'll be able to get a long ratcheting wrench at home depot, combo 9/16, 5/8 and 14.5 " long. Replacing with a shorter bolt is a good idea. If that doesn't work I'll try the sealant.

-
Back