Transmission fluid leaking 318-LA

-

Raiderfan489

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm having a slight problem with my transmission lines. With the two hoses coming out of the radiator, the one that is the closest to the motor (the one on the left when looking at it head on) seems to keep leaking al over my k member. The first set of hoses were getting corroded and I replaced them with a smaller gauge and reclamped them up. For the first day, there were no problems. But now I've come to notice at the end of the hose, it keeps dripping and running down the line. Anybody else have this issue? I'm an amateur when it comes to any car work, but I'm still learning new tips everyday. Anyone able to help me out?

Thanks!
James

im no expert but maybe can give u some helpful info.

did u redo the lines with steel or rubber?
if u did u make sure to use some oil resistant pipe thread paste on the threaded ends?if so after taking a drive i would then retighten to make sure with temp shirnking and expanding that they seat good.

id think it would be leaking from the threaded point if its running down the line. imo

i did away with the radiator tranny cooler its not as good as a good brand tranny cooler(B&M,Be Cool,Flexalite....),pushed the threaded part back on the line and put rubber lines over the ends and clamped them down good and mounted the cooler behind the grille. shifts tighter, cruises smoother and keeps the heat down great!.

Sounds like you are messing around with a previous owners mess around. The trans cooler lines never had any rubber hose sections. Should be 5/16 steel lines from rad' to the trans'. New reproduction lines is probably your best route.

Redfish is right. It should be solid steel lines, no rubber hose at all. You can buy pre bent replacement lines or buy 5/16" brake line and bend your own. IMO it's worth it to buy the pre bent lines. Lots less labor installing it and don't cost much more, just gotta wait a few days for the order to arrive.

If you must use any rubber hose use low pressure hydraulic return hose. It's oil resistant and will last. Make sure they give you return hose, not 2 wire hydraulic pressure hose. Some places try to sell 2 wire hose in place of return hose and it's a real PITA to work with and so stiff you can't clamp it down good.

Ditto. Any rubber line is not factory. However, it will work fine. I would add rubber hose before I ran all new metal tube. My 2 Mopar minivans run just rubber hose to the cooler and back. I recall the same 5/16" size as your Dart's metal tubes. You can ask for "trans oil" hose at Autozone since I replaced mine when I rebuilt the minivan trannys.

I also bypassed the radiator cooler and use a front mounted trans cooler. I don't like the risk of mixing trans fluid and water. I did that years ago in my big C-body and whenever I have checked after a highway run the outlet tube is cool enough to hold, and that is will a fairly small tube & fin cooler. BTW, many of those coolers require you connect to them with rubber hose.

One thing to remember.If you do use rubber lines,Keep them as short as possible. I've seen people try to use just rubber and it always turned to disaster.There are just too many places for it to break.What a mess! there is a lot of pressure in those lines between shifts.You would have to keep an eye on them,which you won't. when they get old and hard they will break.

-
Back