Transmission Lines and Compression fittings

-

340wedge

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to use a compression fitting in a transmission line, or is double flare the only way to go? Thank You.

The cheap "normal" compression fittings you find at the parts store are prone to vibration, and loosening. The ones you used to be able to get for air brake fittings had long nuts more like flare nuts. They "weren't bad." I'll stick with flare, thank you very much

These kind are the "better" of the compression

parker-compression-fitting-vs68ab9908759c8619457b966015b8e995b171.png

These are DOT air brake fittings

DOT APPROVED CA360/CA377 BRASS AIR BRAKE FITTINGS FOR COPPER TUBING On Mid-America Fittings, Inc.

AB68-66web.gif

I've used compression fittings on them with no problem. Hell some car have rubber hose with clamps on them. But it's not hard to make a double flare. The lines are easy to get to.

Last edited:
I talk to people it seems nearly on a weekly basis that want to use compression fittings on BRAKE LINES. Some I am able to talk out of it. Some I am not.

I think transmission line pressure is low enough to use a compression fitting, but considering the consequences of a failure, I still wouldn't do it.

I talk to people it seems nearly on a weekly basis that want to use compression fittings on BRAKE LINES.

Years ago a friend bought a "used" Ferd Ranchero which had single master cylinder system. He had not had it long, and was barreling down a county road to a "dead end" T intersection. Fortunately there was a parallel power line, and a very rough access road directly across from the "dead end" for power line inspection/ access

Anyhow he went right through the intersection and down that rough road

The brake line up near the transmission area HAD BEEN SPLICED WITH HOSE AND CLAMPS!!

Compression fittings should only be used if there is no other way in my book. Granted, there isn't much pressure, but if you have the ability to flare lines, that would be the best way.

I used 2 on my car to splice the lines cause I was in a hurry to get it running for a cruise night. That was 5 or 6 yrs. ago. I keep looking at them thinking I might change them some day but they've never leaked a drop or loosened up. Cooler line pressure is pretty low so I can't imagine one would blow apart

-
Back