Transmission shop in Northern California for 904 rebuild

-

72bluNblu

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a shop to rebuild a 904 transmission for my '71 Dart . Nothing all that fancy, just looking for a rebuild and TF-2 shift kit install. I was going to do it myself, but I don't think I want to mess with it. At least not until I get some quotes.

Anybody in NorCal have someone they've used before? I'm in the Sacramento area, but I'm not afraid of driving a bit if its a worthwhile shop.

Thanks! :D

There is a shop in Stockton called Clutches & More. The guy is really knowledgeable and a cool guy. I have had him do work on multiple cars for me and he has always been very reasonable.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a shop to rebuild a 904 transmission for my '71 Dart . Nothing all that fancy, just looking for a rebuild and TF-2 shift kit install. I was going to do it myself, but I don't think I want to mess with it. At least not until I get some quotes.

Anybody in NorCal have someone they've used before? I'm in the Sacramento area, but I'm not afraid of driving a bit if its a worthwhile shop.

Thanks! :D

Len Schneider has a shop in Grass Valley, and is an excellent transmission guy with lots of experience with Torqueflites. He mainly build converters and transmission for NHRA drag racers (and was a very successful racer, himself,) but hasn't run his car, lately. He was Div. VII points champion three times with his Super Stocker and has held numerous class (national records) with his race cars.

He built the 904 transmission in my Valiant (Vortech supercharged 360 Magnum) a few years back. It's had LOTS of drag racing useage and still shifts crisply with no problems. My car is a mid-11 second, 3,300-pound car. 445 rear wheel hp...

He's a friendly, approachable guy who is easy to talk to.

Give him a call; (530) 268-3388.

His shop is at: 10864 Old Pond Lane
Grass Valley, CA 95949 home
13393 Grass Valley Ave. Unit 13

Tell him I sent you... He'll appreciate your business!

Thanks Bill! I'll go check him out.

Not really looking to do any drag racing, although I guess my build will probably put out around 350 hp so a little stronger would probably be good. Mostly just want a better shifting transmission I don't have to worry about to go behind the rebuilt engine.

Thanks Bill! I'll go check him out.

Not really looking to do any drag racing, although I guess my build will probably put out around 350 hp so a little stronger would probably be good. Mostly just want a better shifting transmission I don't have to worry about to go behind the rebuilt engine.

If you talk to him, tell him that (not much drag racing) and he will tailor your build acccordingly. He's doesn't just build racing stuff, but I think that's probably the bulk of his business.

Thanks!

Len Schneider has a shop in Grass Valley, and is an excellent transmission guy with lots of experience with Torqueflites. He mainly build converters and transmission for NHRA drag racers (and was a very successful racer, himself,) but hasn't run his car, lately. He was Div. VII points champion three times with his Super Stocker and has held numerous class (national records) with his race cars.

He built the 904 transmission in my Valiant (Vortech supercharged 360 Magnum) a few years back. It's had LOTS of drag racing useage and still shifts crisply with no problems. My car is a mid-11 second, 3,300-pound car. 445 rear wheel hp...

He's a friendly, approachable guy who is easy to talk to.

Give him a call; (530) 268-3388.

His shop is at: 10864 Old Pond Lane
Grass Valley, CA 95949 home
13393 Grass Valley Ave. Unit 13

Tell him I sent you... He'll appreciate your business!
I have met him he is a great guy and I have a few buddies that have had transmissions built by him as well and they both spend time at the drag strip ad well on the street. And there trannys haven't had any problems and they have no complaints. Don't know why I didn't think of him first,

Aj

I have met him he is a great guy and I have a few buddies that have had transmissions built by him as well and they both spend time at the drag strip ad well on the street. And there trannys haven't had any problems and they have no complaints. Don't know why I didn't think of him first,

Aj

Thanks for that! I have known him for 30+ years, and am impressed with his knowledge and experience.

AND, he runs a 1-man shop, so if he has a "comeback," he knows whose fault it is... LOL!

I appreciate the input, and I'm sure he would, too!

Thanks, much.

Sounds like I'm making a trip up to Auburn!

Thanks guys! :D

Sounds like I'm making a trip up to Auburn!

Thanks guys! :D

Good idea, but I'd call first; sometimes he gets really busy.... If he knows you're coming, I'm sure he'll set aside plenty of time to talk with you about the trannys.

He's a Ford guy, but has built TONS of Torquefites over the years.

Here's a car that had one of his 904's back in the eighties... a Super Stock record holder.

Attachments

• image0-2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 171
-
Back