Transmission Swap

-

DJones942013

Reaction score
I have a 72 Plymouth Scamp, I just got the 318 and 904 out of my car. I wanted to 340 swap it but just finding a decent 340 in my price range is nearly impossible. So I have decided to look at a 360. I found one out of a 2wd truck with a 4 speed. I'm pretty sure the transmission wont fit but I was wondering if the bell housing for a truck were the same for a car and if a car A833 would bolt to it. Thanks for the help in advance.

Nope. What transmission is in the truck, IE is it an actual "truck" trans, or is it an 833 OD? The truck bell is larger and bulkier, and uses a larger flywheel

If you go with an 833 you'll need a floor tunnel "hump" and what will you do for pedals?

most people will agree that a properly build 904 will have no problem holding up behind a 360

I would look into that option
(plus, that will allow you to keep your driveshaft)

I was just curious if it would work. I would actually prefer a auto because I want to have a decent car for the drag strip as well as a car that I can drive regularly. I can not find anything other then a "race" rebuild kit for my 904 and I wasn't sure of a 904 would hold because my plan is to take a 360 and build a 408.

All 3 of our cars have stock OEM clutch disc and steels......

I generally use Transtar Deluxe kits....or I buy the parts in bulk....

Well I also thought about building the 318 that came out of the car into a 390. Has anyone ever built or know of one? and how much hp and torque? I'd like to get 350-400hp and about the same in torque with keeping it naturally aspirated.

Well I also thought about building the 318 that came out of the car into a 390. Has anyone ever built or know of one? and how much hp and torque? I'd like to get 350-400hp and about the same in torque with keeping it naturally aspirated.

Nope....never been done....ever....:wack:

Just messing with you...I don't understand what the fascination is with "340's" anymore. This ain't 1972 anymore. Restoring a numbers car...go for it. But if not why spend the extra $$ on it? Toss in a stroker crank and why in the world would anyone spend the extra cash on a 340? Hell...ain't like anyone can tell the difference, externally, of a 318-340-360.....if it makes your testosterone surge just lie and tell everyone it's a 340....

-
Back