Truck Big Block Install

-

JeffTheMarine

Reaction score
I know it is not an A body but I know between all of the fabo members on here that there is a wealth of knowledge.

What I am looking to do is pull the slant out of my 83 stepside truck and install a 383. I have the engine and my truck is a manual transmission so it will stay that way. I was planning on using a B body 4 speed. From what I have heard so far that is the best set up for a truck. I want it to be able to shift quickly and everything and a normal truck transmission is not something I want because I mainly don't want the low gear in 1st.

I was curious if someone on here has done a big block swap into a truck and what you ran into problem wise and what I should be prepared for. I am looking for as much information as I can before I do this so that I am good and prepared.

Thanks

Jeff

I know it is not an A body but I know between all of the fabo members on here that there is a wealth of knowledge.

What I am looking to do is pull the slant out of my 83 stepside truck and install a 383. I have the engine and my truck is a manual transmission so it will stay that way. I was planning on using a B body 4 speed. From what I have heard so far that is the best set up for a truck. I want it to be able to shift quickly and everything and a normal truck transmission is not something I want because I mainly don't want the low gear in 1st.

I was curious if someone on here has done a big block swap into a truck and what you ran into problem wise and what I should be prepared for. I am looking for as much information as I can before I do this so that I am good and prepared.

Thanks

Jeff

The only real issue in my truck was the vacuum booster hit the valvecover. Had to use a booster from a 70's LTD.

Attachments

• PROSTREET RAM FOR SALE.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 259
Nice truck!!!! Smokin!
Is it Mini tubbed?
No sir, it had another set of factory inner wheelwells welded to the inside of the originals. Had "HUGE" 33/21.5x15 M/T tires on a Dana 60. 500 inch 440 2 4's and a modded 727 w/3000 stall. Believe it or not I broke 4 727 cases and 1 driveshaft on the street I assume due to the large tires. Was a fun truck to play with. Lotsa work went into it with almost 60 hours block time to get it arrow straight. I took 5 first place trophies and my favorite was "First place Ram" at the "Lonestar Mopar Shootout" here in Texas in 2004. 4400 lb truck turned high 11's and manage to get 11 mpg. Ended up trading it for my 66 8 second Falcon. Traded the Falcon after a few years of racing for the Cuda I have now..... I have always traded up!! LoL! I prefer cars over trucks anytime! No, I really don't miss it either.

Attachments

• dodge.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 261
  • dragram2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 222
Sounds like you do all your own work including painting and body work-Good for you!!!

Is there anyone out there that has put a 6 speed manual trans into one of these trucks? Like I was saying mine is an 83. Just curious.

Thanks

Jeff

-
Back